Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Rayman Legends delay: Fans slam decision

Comment on site articles.

Ubisoft criticised for bringing the game to multiple platforms in September

The decision to delay Rayman Legends in order to bring Ubisoft's platformer to multiple platforms has been criticised by fans.

... read more

Postby RainbowGazelle » 08 Feb 2013, 11:24

1. Cool, my comment was mentioned. 2. We're really more annoyed at the further 7 month delay rather than the game going multiplatform. I'm fine with that, but delaying the game when Ubisoft have announced that the only reason is so it can go multiplatform is unacceptable.
If anyone wants to play online, my 3DS FC is: 3437-3065-1394
My Wii U NNID is: RainbowGazelle
RainbowGazelle

Postby Lazara the Last » 08 Feb 2013, 11:29

If enough people signs this, we might make something happen! :D
http://www.change.org/petitions/ubisoft ... ii-u#share
Lazara the Last

Re: Rayman Legends delay: Fans slam decision

Postby Kesskuron » 08 Feb 2013, 11:30

Misleading subtitle is misleading

People aren't angry about the fact that it's being ported, they're annoyed that a game that is seemingly finished and ready to ship for one console is being delayed more than half a year so that it can launch alongside said ports.
RB profile
Super Andre: I believe that fruit and veg WANT too be eaten
Kesskuron

Postby Abe hikura » 08 Feb 2013, 11:30

The multiplatform bit doesn't bother me its the damn delay for Wii u version that blows a game I was 100% buying is now coming out against stuff that I want way more... Sorry but I'm out, to launch a game between GTA and Pokemon the two giants of both ends of gaming is utterly foolish. Well ubisoft you lost this guy's money.

Preorder canceled
Abe hikura

Postby NintendoForLife » 08 Feb 2013, 11:31

They deserve all the abuse they get. Since when did developers actually listen to what gamers wanted? It's only because a few people with a PS360 demanding that they should have the game that they are getting it. When Nintendo Wii owners wanted Assassin's Creed or other such games they didn't get them so why should these people be catered for now? Ubisoft should just Tweet/email them back telling them to buy a Wii U. It was a Wii U exclusive and as soon as people start throwing toys out the pram Ubisoft give in. I don't care if it's multi format I just don't think it's right that we should suffer because of the people that want the game but aren't willing to get the console that it's on.

On another note, the majority of people that own a 360 or PS3 are not interested in colourful platormers so it would be interesting to see how many people actually complained.

Also for the record I own a PS3, 360 and WiiU.
NintendoForLife at your service.
NintendoForLife

Postby Abe hikura » 08 Feb 2013, 11:45

Ubisoft used to be my favourite publisher, always enjoyed their games. For the biggest suporter of the Wii U to ditching games (ghost recon online) and sending games multiplatform. I will have to second think suporting ubisoft entirely if the release Zombiu 'impossible on other formats' on Xbox/PS
Abe hikura

Postby Bowser16 » 08 Feb 2013, 11:56

Can't really say i'm borthered, as it's not my type of game lol.

But Ubisoft saying that they listened to the fans and that's why they are porting the game to the PS3/360 is aload of rubbish.

The real reason is down to the investors, let's be honest Ubisoft.

They know the Wii U is selling badly due to the lack of exclusive games out for the system and in turn that's why it has alow user base at the moment. Investors/Ubisoft know that they will make more money off of the game by porting it to other consoles with a higher end user base, thus why their holding back the Wii U version so it won't be seen as a Wii U exclusive thus effecting the sales of the PS3/360 versions.

It's a good buisness decision on their part really as this way they will make alot more money out of it, but it was the way they went about it that will give them alot of bad publicity in the long run.
Bowser16

Postby sonicka » 08 Feb 2013, 12:20

Can I just put out that The Developers are actually as p**sed as the gamers...

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=195789

So I wouldn't go blaming them really. The decision and reason for the delay (basically, to port it to other consoles for a multiformat release) may suck, but we all still get the game eventually. Calm down peoples.
Sig Coming one day =)
sonicka

Postby MicroLovePony » 08 Feb 2013, 12:24

I think for some people on the forum to be getting angry because the game is going multiformat is absolutely stupid. From a business decision it makes sense. The Wii U has such a small install base that having two extra platforms that have millions and millions of owners can only be good.

What gamers have a right to be angry about is the fact that the game is being delayed by seven months! Today news broke that the developers were being rushed to get the game out the door by the end of the month only to be told last minute the date had moved to September so it's down to Ubisoft. This game is practically ready to go and it's the fact that we won't see it till later in the year that disgusts me.

What is also annoying is that with Scribblenauts being delayed and Razor's Edge also announced for PS360 the bad news continues to come. Nintendo need to do a better job cementing relationships with third parties. Furthermore they need to communicate their release schedule better and also have some AAA games to be excited about.

With Rayman gone, there's really nothing to look forward to for a while. Monster Hunter will be good I'm sure, but we've played this on the Wii before. LEGO might be cool but again doesn't look anything mind blowing. I know Pikmin and Wonderful 101 are coming too but when?! Nintendo is so secret about this that the release schedule is looking abysmal.

The Wii U has potential, but so far there's nothing coming out for it. Seriously worried about the console and if Nintendo doesn't get themselves together it's only going to get worse.
MicroLovePony

Postby tomonm » 08 Feb 2013, 12:25

sonicka wrote:Can I just put out that The Developers are actually as p**sed as the gamers...

So I wouldn't go blaming them really. The decision and reason for the delay (basically, to port it to other consoles for a multiformat release) may suck, but we all still get the game eventually. Calm down peoples.

Whoever that developer is, it's not Xavier Poix as suggested in this post. Xavier is the head of Ubisoft's French studios and said this to IGN yesterday: “When we saw all the comments when we announced the game would be focused on Wii U, all of the people that have both the PlayStation 3 and 360 were really disappointed,” Poix told IGN. “So we thought it was making more sense to also bring the game to where it was originally from. That means Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. So we decided to go for a multiplatform launch simultaneously.”
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby adamatsu » 08 Feb 2013, 12:37

well it's certainly put me off buying a wii u for a while. it demonstrates that developers are losing faith in making games exclusively for the wii u, which is what it needs as it's a unique set-up. it was also one of the few games to look forward to in the near future and a big reason to be an early wii u adopter. i'm glad i cancelled my pre-order to be honest, and it may be some time before i'm convinced to buy one. really, what reasons are there at moment? especially with scribblenauts delayed as well. oh well, at least the 3ds has an amazing line-up.
adamatsu

Postby sonicka » 08 Feb 2013, 12:47

tomonm wrote:
sonicka wrote:Can I just put out that The Developers are actually as p**sed as the gamers...

Whoever that developer is, it's not Xavier Poix as suggested in this post. Xavier is the head of Ubisoft's French studios and said this to IGN yesterday: “When we saw all the comments when we announced the game would be focused on Wii U, all of the people that have both the PlayStation 3 and 360 were really disappointed,” Poix told IGN. “So we thought it was making more sense to also bring the game to where it was originally from. That means Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. So we decided to go for a multiplatform launch simultaneously.”

Oooh, I never spotted that!

Unless it's a mistake by the poster on Gonintendo - that makes it very interesting...
Sig Coming one day =)
sonicka

Postby AaronMclaren » 08 Feb 2013, 14:39

The subtitle is very misleading indeed. I don't think anyone is at all annoyed the game is going multiplatform; it was always going to happen wasn't it? The issue is the fact Ubisoft are sitting on a finished game for near on 7 months just to release it simultaneously.

It's a swift kick in the nuts to all those current Wii U owners, those who were going to pick a Wii U up with this and many many journalists who all sung praise about the game and were ready to invest in it. Have I cancelled my preorder for it? No, and only because 1) I've got it at discounted rate with reward points etc. and 2) If the game flops, Ubisoft's suits & ties are definitely going to drop support for the Wii U aren't they? Still, it's left a very bitter taste in the mouth.
AaronMclaren

Postby manic221 » 08 Feb 2013, 15:34

In September? Hell No! I was only buying Legends because it was coming out in Feburary it was going to give me a stop gap between the game i really want (Lego City Undercover) and a game i'm going to try (Monster Hunter 3) I wasn't into Origins so the "brand" wasn't why i was getting it...

in September? Are you kidding GTA V is out that month... So no i won't be buying Rayman Legends at all... Not even considering it, not even mildly considering the game.

---

AaronMclaren wrote:The subtitle is very misleading indeed. I don't think anyone is at all annoyed the game is going multiplatform; it was always going to happen wasn't it? The issue is the fact Ubisoft are sitting on a finished game for near on 7 months just to release it simultaneously.

It's a swift kick in the nuts to all those current Wii U owners, those who were going to pick a Wii U up with this and many many journalists who all sung praise about the game and were ready to invest in it. Have I cancelled my preorder for it? No, and only because 1) I've got it at discounted rate with reward points etc. and 2) If the game flops, Ubisoft's suits & ties are definitely going to drop support for the Wii U aren't they? Still, it's left a very bitter taste in the mouth.

You can play Microsoft for them having to sit on it, Microsoft have a policy where by multiplatform games must be released at the same time on there console otherwise they won't license it... Personally this whole things sounds really shady to me... Either way not buying Rayman Legends at all now GTA V is out in September no need for Rayman...

---

All those with petitions don't even bother it'll get you nowhere... If there's one thing i've learnt it's that men in suits don't care about you or your silly little petitions they just care about cash simple as that. So don't bother signing it because all your doing is signing up to spam...

---

adamatsu wrote:well it's certainly put me off buying a wii u for a while. it demonstrates that developers are losing faith in making games exclusively for the wii u, which is what it needs as it's a unique set-up. it was also one of the few games to look forward to in the near future and a big reason to be an early wii u adopter. i'm glad i cancelled my pre-order to be honest, and it may be some time before i'm convinced to buy one. really, what reasons are there at moment? especially with scribblenauts delayed as well. oh well, at least the 3ds has an amazing line-up.

*Wii U
*Scribblenauts
*3DS

You need to learn how to use capitol letters my friend.
------Nintendo 3DS forever-------
Skins UK fan :)

Naomily FTW(hence the profile pic) I miss them but I love generation 3 too.
------Nintendo 3DS forever-------
manic221

Postby King Slazo » 08 Feb 2013, 16:14

manic221 wrote:You need to learn how to use capitol letters my friend.

And you need to learn not to quintuple post, thank you. There's an Edit button for a reason.
~ a r r o g a n c e e t e r n a l ~ to tweetfinity and beyond
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby adamatsu » 08 Feb 2013, 17:49

King Slazo wrote:
manic221 wrote:You need to learn how to use capitol letters my friend.

And you need to learn not to quintuple post, thank you. There's an Edit button for a reason.

And how to spell the word capital.
adamatsu

Postby PokerusZero » 08 Feb 2013, 18:34

I am still going to buy Rayman Legends as it looks great and I loved Origins its just that why do they have to delay it to September just to release it along with the PS3 and 360. They always get their own way but whenever Nintendo fans want games to be on their consoles they just ignore them. Fools!
PokerusZero

Postby Tinstar5 » 08 Feb 2013, 18:37

I really can't believe that Ubisoft betrayed us by waving a big blockbuster exclusive in our faces and then pushing the release back seven months to work on 360 and PS3 ports. I really thought that they were on our side after ZombiU but it seems they are just in it for the cash. If this rubbish continues expect to see Zombi720 by the end of the year.
3DS FC: 2578-3161-0430 Name: Rory
PM me if you've added me
Tinstar5

Postby Cidiyance » 08 Feb 2013, 20:10

Oh yeah I'm getting it, I'm just cheesed off that they delayed it till September. Ubisoft, I... am not that disappointed. I'm not a huge fan of your games- infact I bearly play any of your games, but this? We'll see how it all goes when release date comes.
Let the fire burn, the Hero die and the world turning into a shadow of light! Time has come for you to challenge me!
Cidiyance

Postby LBDNytetrayn » 08 Feb 2013, 22:00

I agree with others here; multiplatform is fine, but a delay on what was supposed to be a launch title, just to throw it to the dogs with GTA V and everything else coming out for the holiday rush? That's just insane.

I didn't even mind the delay from launch too much; odds are, given the choice between Mario and Rayman, people would pick Mario. But now that New Super Mario Bros. U has been played through, we're hungry for more, and Rayman would have been a great next step.

I wonder if they'll do something about the limited-use demo to compensate. As it is, it seems they've completely killed their momentum, and there's not really any other big title coming to Wii U this month. They had the stage all to themselves, and instead decided they'd rather run in the background by making the same mistake they made with Origins, which took longer to become profitable since it was released right alongside their own Assassin's Creed game that year.
ImageImageImageImage
LBDNytetrayn

Postby GuitarHero » 09 Feb 2013, 00:10

I would love to hear Montpellier's thoughts on this, especially Ancel's.
GuitarHero

Postby Mr Roboto » 09 Feb 2013, 17:15

Why not release the game now on Wii U and start to recover development costs!
Mr Roboto

Postby KH81314 » 10 Feb 2013, 14:55

Ubisoft really messed up this time. I don't really care that its being pushed back but 7 months.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby Volga » 10 Feb 2013, 16:18

Rayman Legends is off my wishlist for now.
Not because its going multiplatform (i dont care if it gets published elsewere as well). But because for March it would be my DEFINITE buy. Now... September? pfff...

There is an announced Windwaker and so much more we dont even heard of... its like they commited suicide on their own. :lol:
Also on other consoles (PS3 XBOX360 and maybe WiiU) there is only one buy... GRAND THEFT AUTO...

Who ever figure this out and wants a head to head between Rayman and GTA is a complete idiot...
Makes you wonder how Ubisoft made it to 2013 with those guys on the wheel... :lol:
Volga

Postby SmashBro2712 » 11 Feb 2013, 18:03

Wow, my comment got featured. I'm not bothered by it going multi-plat, I'm bothered by the fact that this version is finished but they're delaying it months just to get them all out at the same time, why not release it now? I'm not saying they should release it now just for the fans, in a few months everyone will be saving up for/playing GTA, Wind Waker HD, new consoles, Mario Kart etc with no major releases this at the moment (not on Wii U at least) RL would have dominated the market whereas by its new release, it'll be side-lined by everything else. This is problem Rayman origins had where it got released along side Skyward Sword, MW3 and TES 5 not a good plan. by the end of the year, the sales of RL will be bad and Ubisoft will say no one wanted it, it was a bad game etc when in fact it's the complete opposite. I'm arguing for a spring launch not just for the Wii U fans, but for Ubisoft's sake and because a good game will be overlooked and shunned otherwise.
SmashBro2712