Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Comment on site articles.

Chandra Nair believes Ubisoft will find it hard to rebuild the faith with Nintendo fans

Despite having known about the possibility of this happening for a few weeks now, it shocked me how angry I still was then this was announced yesterday. So angry in fact that I thought it best to sleep on it before I wrote this blog. Rayman Legends, one of the few games that really embraced what the Wii U was all about, has been delayed until September so that it can be released on all major formats.

... read more

Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby lupaie » 08 Feb 2013, 12:23

Poor devs, I really feel sorry for them (http://zonaforo.meristation.com/foros/viewtopic.php?t=2047583). Only losers because of this Marketing decision. The DEVS, Nintendo, The WiiU gamers, and Ubi themselves. Raymans would have sold really well because there is NOTHING else to buy between now to end March. By posponing it to September they automatically sell less. There a so many big budget releases by then (GTA5 anybody)

I dare to question if the combined Xbox360, PS3 and WiiU sales in September would equal the sales of a solo WiiU release in Februari.

UNLESS: Rayman is targeted for Next gen consoles ps4 and Nexbox...then it will be a launch game..and sell loads!


--
Translated by a forum buddy
I completely understand you but you have to understand one thing. This is not a decission taken by the development team, this comes from really really high up, so please don't pick on the game.

If you're p**sed, imagine how we feel. Think on the situation, we've been making overtime with this game practically since May preparing E3, and then almost a demo per month (gamescon, Wii U presentation, shops, eShop, etc...) and at the same time trying to actually finish the game. We had a first delay because it was obvious we couldn't finish on time but we gave it all to be there on February. What face do you think we had when the week we had to close the game we're being told it's not going to be released? I couldn't believe it.

For practical matters, you'll have to wait for some months for the game to be released and will most likely serve for more content to be added and do it better. For us, this means we've spent 6 months barely seeing our wifes, kids, and friends for nothing because, after all, such a haste wasn't needed. Believe it, it was a hell to swallow these news.


Even then I'm firm in what I said back in the day, Rayman Legends is an excellent game and will still be, and the team that's making it doesn't deserve to have your back turned on them just because some men in ties one day took a wrong choice. This industry is really that crappy
lupaie
35
 
Posts: 1
Location: Netherlands

Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby CaptainSnivy » 08 Feb 2013, 12:31

Who cares if they're delaying that game's release? If they release it earlier, the game would probably be awful and bad quality, so just be patient. Patience is a virtue. It's like people who think SSBB 4 should be released as early as this year - just wait. Give Nintendo time.
CaptainSnivy
30
 
Posts: 60
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby Phil Wing » 08 Feb 2013, 12:32

It's such a kick in the teeth to us early Wii U adopters.

So far what is February bringing to the Wii U? I'm not going to regret my purchase because I really enjoy playing the few games I have, but nothing worth buying till the end of March now? Wow, talk about huge disappointment. The fact the game is complete for Wii U is just insulting.
Phil Wing
4
 
Posts: 1

Re: Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby tomonm » 08 Feb 2013, 12:33

CaptainSnivy wrote:Who cares if they're delaying that game's release? If they release it earlier, the game would probably be awful and bad quality, so just be patient. Patience is a virtue. It's like people who think SSBB 4 should be released as early as this year - just wait. Give Nintendo time.


I think you misunderstand. The Wii U game is finished and was ready for release on 28 February. The delay is simply because Ubisoft want to bring it to all formats at the same time.
tomonm
69
ONM Staff
 
Posts: 2214

Re: Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby MicroLovePony » 08 Feb 2013, 12:35

I think a bigger concern at the moment is the serious lack of Wii U titles coming out now. With Rayman and Scribblenauts delayed what do we have? Monster Hunter is a game a lot of us played to death on the Wii already and LEGO City looks like it might be pretty fun. Aliens is shaping up to be disappointing if first impressions are anything to go by and as far as Pikmin and Wonderful 101 go we have no idea when they're coming beside a vague summer release.

The Wii U isn't selling too well and this barren line-up isn't going to help matters.
MicroLovePony
34
 
Posts: 40
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby oh dae su » 08 Feb 2013, 12:35

Excellent article Chandra. Angry but with common sense. Well done.
The parade of everything under the sun.
oh dae su
52
User avatar
 
Posts: 158
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby ToxicJosh » 08 Feb 2013, 12:42

This delay has taken this game from an almost certain purchase to a non-issue for me.

Why should I invest my time, interest and money in a game from a company that doesn't care enough about me as a consumer to release a finished game when I have the time to play it? By the time it does come out I'll have lost interest.

And I'm doubly annoyed because literally yesterday I played through the demo with a friend of mine and had a blast, said I was seriously considering picking it up in the near future, only to get this slap in the face when I went on the internet.
ToxicJosh
21
 
Posts: 21

Re: Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby CaptainSnivy » 08 Feb 2013, 12:49

tomonm wrote:
CaptainSnivy wrote:Who cares if they're delaying that game's release? If they release it earlier, the game would probably be awful and bad quality, so just be patient. Patience is a virtue. It's like people who think SSBB 4 should be released as early as this year - just wait. Give Nintendo time.


I think you misunderstand. The Wii U game is finished and was ready for release on 28 February. The delay is simply because Ubisoft want to bring it to all formats at the same time.

Oh, I didn't notice that. Well I can see why people who were planning to get this game at the end of this month are annoyed, but you can still understand why they did it from a financial perspective. Maybe if you're lucky Ubisoft might see their faults and release the Wii U version earlier.
CaptainSnivy
30
 
Posts: 60
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby onmsam » 08 Feb 2013, 13:18

why release at the same time, they have bo reason when the game is complete so the game now be left month just for last gen consoles :evil:
my Nintendo network name is MixableFire
onmsam
34
 
Posts: 116
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby Johny G » 08 Feb 2013, 13:29

Chandra's article about this was spot and I am disgusted with the lack of 3rd party support for the Wii U. I was looking forward to both Scribblenaughts and Rayman Legends and it is disappointing to have two top games delayed within such a short space of time. Ubisoft have got a lot to answer for and 5th Cell also need to get their act together. Wii U sales may have prompted the games being put back but how can Nintendo expect to sell their console if there is no 3rd party support. Rayman Legends was meant to rival Mario Wii U - My favourite game of all time and we have been let down badly.
Johny G
26
 
Posts: 95
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 08 Feb 2013, 13:31

Personally, I feel sorry for Nintendo themselves. I imagine that they have been looking forward to Rayman Legends making waves and attracting more gamers that aren't specifically Nintendo fans and gain some new consumers. Now it seems the only chance of attracting a new consumer base is when Bayonetta 2 is ready.
Image
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: Ys - Adol | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
60
ONM Moderator
User avatar
 
Posts: 5302
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby onmsam » 08 Feb 2013, 13:44

NL: Do you find the Wii U to be more powerful than the 360 and PS3?
JK: In a word yes – it’s very capable, and we’re taking advantage of this to bring greater graphical fidelity to the Wii U version of Sniper Elite V2.
check the website for the interview because good stuff is said about wii u
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/0 ... ve_version
my Nintendo network name is MixableFire
onmsam
34
 
Posts: 116
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby ShinKagato » 08 Feb 2013, 13:49

Agree completely with this article, i was looking forward to playing the game, it has been on my pre-order list on shopto since it was announced as a launch title. It was delayed for a few months so i picked up Mario instead (which is a great game) but still i was looking forward to Rayman. Then this happens, i just dont understand how short sighted a publisher can be. They have moved the game to September, a month that has a lot of heavy hitters coming for all formats, if i remember correctly they released the last Rayman game around that time and it did not sell well until various stores dropped the price to sub £20 mark. I honestly dont think they will sell more copies, i think they will sell less this way, there will still be people who feel cheated and wont touch it, there will be people who have a choice between Rayman and a bigger budget game and will obviously opt for the big budget tripple A title.

The way i see it now is, Rayman is lost and regardless of how amazing the title will be it wont sell enough for Ubi and they will retire the brand again for a few years, ZombiU will be renamed and launched on the 360 and PS3 to try and make up lost money and it will sell nothing because everything that made the game unique will be removed. The new console will be announced at E3 and a lot of people will stop buying current gen games and wait for those, Ubisoft will double down on those machines and abandon Nintendo like they did with the original Wii.
ShinKagato
6
 
Posts: 5
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby ninjafox » 08 Feb 2013, 14:08

tomonm wrote:The Wii U game is finished and was ready for release on 28 February. The delay is simply because Ubisoft want to bring it to all formats at the same time.


This is what frustrates me as well, Rayman Legends for Wii U is ready right now and come 28th February/1st March it should be on shop shelves.
Yes not as many Wii U's have been sold as Nintendo and Ubisoft hoped so the potential sales of the game are reduced but it would have still sold come 1st March.
Also if the Wii U version was already out when the PS3/360 version launched in September there would be another spark of interest in the Wii U version due to advertising and who knows the Wii U version may have come down in price so Ubisoft wouldn't loose any sales just increase potential sales.
ninjafox
57
User avatar
 
Posts: 536
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby Gorsewaygirl » 08 Feb 2013, 14:12

Haven't bought a Wii U yet. Want one but I'm not going to make the same mistake as I did with the 3DS. I bought a 3DS at launch excited by the prospect of Animal Crossing's imminent release - that didn't happen either and I am still waiting :0( Rayman was one of those games that would have made me get a Wii U. But it's being released in the run up to Christmas when money is tight and I can play it on my 360 now so I needn't bother with a Wii U until there is a software release I con't live without. Shame isn't it...
3DS code: 0817 3795 3527 – PM me if you add me :)
Gorsewaygirl
41
 
Posts: 140
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby eroslanith » 08 Feb 2013, 14:21

probably would have brought Rayman for Wii U this month or next as I have barely any Wii U titles at the moment and there's not a great deal due out except for Tomb Raider. In fact I've hardly touched the console except for when friends come over to play Nintendo Land or multiplayer Mario. By the time September hits I'll probably be busy thinking about GTA V, FFXIII-3, Tales of Xillia, new Pokemon titles etc. Oh well, no sale from me anymore Ubi.
eroslanith
8
 
Posts: 7

Re: Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby Layton link » 08 Feb 2013, 14:25

To be honest I am incrediably happy with this news...means I get to play it.Is it the wrong decision? possibly..but as a consumer and a person who has no reason to buy a wii U iam happy that I can get another great rayman game for a console i am interested in.
Layton link
37
User avatar
 
Posts: 231
Location: Ireland

Re: Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby NeonJ » 08 Feb 2013, 14:39

I never much liked Ubisoft in the first place, for what they did to the DS market. Rayman Origins started to redeem themselves, but then they just pulled Legends back and lied. (Though to be fair, I can't actually remember any Ubisoft games I actually enjoyed other than Rayman 2, 3 and Origins. No, I haven't played Assassin's Creed, so that doesn't count. Not my kind of game.)

Though to be fair, I'm delaying my WiiU purchase until there are games on there which I don't already have on my PC.
~Cirom, that Animal Crossing guy.
NeonJ
8
User avatar
 
Posts: 11
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby AaronMclaren » 08 Feb 2013, 14:43

Awesomely written article, Chandra. :)
AaronMclaren
35
 
Posts: 86

Re: Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby Shinnos » 08 Feb 2013, 15:00

This was a great article about a terrible decision Chandra. Well reasoned and also obviously personal.

While I wasn't that interested in Rayman Legends – I bought Rayman Origins, but found the platforming to be "too floaty" for my liking – I agree that this is the wrong decision. And as you say, it's not about the game no longer being a Wii U exclusive – these days isn't the word "exclusive" when used for console titles nearly always followed by "for x-amount of months" in tiny letters? – but the fact that a game that was so very nearly ready for release, is now being delayed for over half a year, to enable a multi-format release! And 7 months is a long time in gaming. While Rayman Legends might have stood out now among the slightly sparse Wii U release schedule, by September it's going to be competing for space alongside numerous titles, some of which may be employing features which Ubisoft had originated, but will now appear derivative.

One thing I didn't really understand from your comments Chandra was this:

"Ubisoft wants to delay the Wii U version because the existence of an alternative version will make the game less attractive to PS360 owners when it eventually launches."

But surely that is still going to be the case, regardless of whether it's a simultaneous release, or the Wii U version had come out when it was suppose to? The Wii U version will be able to incorporate features on the gamepad that the PS360 versions just won't be able to, so the different versions won't be exactly the same. If anything, it would have seemed to have made sense to release the Wii U version as intended, giving it 7 months as an exclusive title, and then release the PS360 versions with additional content to appease that audience (which is similar to the way that titles like Arkham Asylum and Assassin's Creed III have treated their release on the Wii U, long after the other systems have had the games, including all the DLC and stuff).
Shinnos
36
User avatar
 
Posts: 310
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 08 Feb 2013, 15:05

Releasing it at the same time GTA 5 is being released is a suicidal.
Image
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho
63
User avatar
 
Posts: 11416
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby danbish » 08 Feb 2013, 15:24

We invested in hardware because we wanted to play your game. We said nice things about your game. We told our friends about your game. We told people to buy a Wii U because of your game. We invested a huge chunk of emotion and expectation into your brand. And what did you do? You screwed us.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Rayman Legends was one of the main reasons to buy a WiiU at launch for a lot of people and Ubi have now effectively said a big 'up yours' to everyone as its so close to launch day. The dev team mist be seething about it considering the work they've put into it in your article.

Yet another kick in the teeth for being a Nintendo fan.

My worry now is, that other publishers will follow suit. As if WiiU isn't having a hard enough time already and with its version of multi-format games not getting a mention other than "later" - Aliens Colonial Marines I'm looking at you here. If publishers aren't going to take the console seriously, then it doesn't look good for the future. I really hope I'm wrong though...

Very well written to Chandra, congrats.
3DS: 0920-1615-5762. NNID: TheFatPlumber. PM me if you add me & I'll add you back.
Image
Yes I am a Nintendo fanboy, no I don't care. Dorkly
danbish
52
User avatar
 
Posts: 2260
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby Waldy565 » 08 Feb 2013, 15:40

On page 2, you made a real good point that Legends is gonna be over-shadowed by all the goodies Nintendo has for us :D. Honestly, I played the demo, and it hasn't excited me, which is very strange considering I adored Origins when I rented it. Maybe it's the realistic graphics, or the features that take it away from being a "pure" platformer, example - Murphy Gamepad's inclusion. It's good, yes, but GIMMICKY! Really gimmicky... So yes, it's not on my list, I wasn't that interested, and now it's been delayed, I'll probably forget about it... which is a shame really...
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565
46
 
Posts: 1830
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby Waldy565 » 08 Feb 2013, 15:53

MartinIsAwesome wrote:Personally, I feel sorry for Nintendo themselves. I imagine that they have been looking forward to Rayman Legends making waves and attracting more gamers that aren't specifically Nintendo fans and gain some new consumers. Now it seems the only chance of attracting a new consumer base is when Bayonetta 2 is ready.

<deleted> ALIEN THING POPPING UP, FREEZING MY COMPUTER! Sorry, rant over, I can understand why it's on ONM, but damn, it freezed my computer... Anyway, Martin, I completely agree with you. Nintendo haven't exactly been the "go-to" company when a developer wants to release a game, and any exclusive game for their console either ends up going multi-platform or ends up being a commercial disaster. I hope that Pikmin 3 and LEGO City Undercover can bring some well needed funds to the amazing Wii U before all the E3 announcements, but I have doubts in the back of my mind that TT will keep Undercover exclusive... Maybe it's because of this news :( To re-phrase: Poor Nintendo!
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565
46
 
Posts: 1830
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Why delaying Rayman Legends is the wrong decision

Postby debris » 08 Feb 2013, 16:06

Rayman coming to 360 and PS3 doesnt bother me, what bothers me is that we now have to wait and dont see the reason why Ubisoft would do this, does this even make good business sense, are Gearbox delaying the release of Aliens Colonial Marines until the WiiU version is ready, No, its out next week on PS3 and 360 and the WiiU gets it sometime in march I think, or god knows when, do we actually have a release date for it?, I know things like this can happen with new console launches but this really is a kick in the nuts for a lot of people.
debris
22
 
Posts: 89
Location: United Kingdom

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Moderators

ONM Staff

Return to Article Comments

Nintendo Co., Ltd. is the owner of certain copyright which subsists and trade marks and other intellectual property rights in certain content, characters, artwork, logos, scripts and representations used in this publication. All rights are expressly recognised and they are used by Future Publishing Limited under licence © 2006 Nintendo Co., Ltd. All rights reserved. "Nintendo", "International Nintendo Licensed Product" "Nintendo DS", "Nintendo DS Lite", "Nintendo DSi", "Nintendo 3DS", "Nintendo DSi XL", "Nintendo 3DS XL", "Wii" and "Wii U" and the associated logos are the trademarks of Nintendo Co. Ltd. All rights reserved.