Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Sonic And All-Stars Racing Transformed 3DS review

Comment on site articles.

Cars, boats and jets: oh, my! Sega's racing game revs up on the 3DS

Alright, let's clear something up: why does Sonic need a car to get around? He's the fastest hedgehog alive, after all. If anything, he should be forced to tow a caravan to even the odds. Of course, caravans prove problematic when the car suddenly morphs into a jet or takes to the sea as a surprise motorboat. No: the caravan is a bad call.

... read more

Sonic And All-Stars Racing Transformed 3DS review

Postby toffeeman30 » 08 Feb 2013, 14:47

mario kart remains the best. hurrahh
toffeeman30

Re: Sonic And All-Stars Racing Transformed 3DS review

Postby Darkblizz » 08 Feb 2013, 15:21

Let me be the first to say, what the hell is wrong with the framerate? Sometimes it runs like a dream, sometimes it's PSOne-esque. And sometimes it's really goddamn bad. At one point in Rogue's Landing it's absolutely HORRENDOUS.
Darkblizz

Postby Waldy565 » 08 Feb 2013, 16:00

OOO, the way you wrote that, makes it sound amazing! But the score puts doubts in my mind, surely it should 70%+ from the way you wrote this review? Anyway, this has made it onto my "interested" list now, will pick it up if when I see it for a reasonable price (No GAME, £40 is NOT a reasonable price... I'm looking at you, NSMBU, ZombiU)
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby sonicka » 08 Feb 2013, 19:23

I think we should get one thing clear, this game is better than Mario Kart - but not running on the 3DS it appears.

I honestly thought they'd do something different for the 3DS game, I really can't believe they just rebuilt it to be exactly the same as the console versions.

Why?

It made sense for the Vita considering it's practically a handheld PS3. But I can't fathom the thinking behind the 3DS edition. It surely would have stood a better chance to have some additional original tracks unique to 3DS and simply be a companion game with its own merits and ideas than try to mimic it's console brethren and take a downgrade in graphics. The wavering frame rate obviously proves that that much was perhaps a little too ambitious for the handheld to handle.

To be honest, from what I've read, seen, and heard, this is the same game as what I already own on my PS3, so it's completely cancelled my interest for the title. Which is a shame really, as I was initially looking forward to playing it. =/
sonicka

Postby skemohedgehog » 08 Feb 2013, 20:03

First thing I notice is, that my download code for the bonus content doesnt work. Anybody else?
Like good comedy? Wanna see another Geordie sitcom on the telly?

Search Facebook for "How Not To Act (John and Dave)"

http://www.facebook.com/pages/How-Not-T ... 2635037695

Watch our videos, comment and support our fanbase!
skemohedgehog

Postby Ebonflow » 08 Feb 2013, 20:54

"Alright, let's clear something up: why does Sonic need a car to get around? He's the fastest hedgehog alive, after all."

Why can't bowser use his fire and blaze everything in a race? Why can't tennis players catch the ball? Why can't football players use stun guns?

Seriously starting off the review with a whiny post is something that should be avoided, another thing, this is a spin off. This is also a race with vehicles, Sonic isn't a vehicle, fast or not he's at least using a fast car. Not to mention if you ACTUALLY have been playing Sonic games for awhile Sonic likes a challenge and will follow rules accordingly and win these challenges.

He's a competitor, and stuff. Seriously start of the review with something worth while.
Ebonflow

Postby tuddy » 08 Feb 2013, 21:31

skemohedgehog wrote:First thing I notice is, that my download code for the bonus content doesnt work. Anybody else?

I have noticed the exact same thing. Once I can dig up an email address, I'll yell in Sega's general direction to find out whether this is an isolated issue or not.
Why not add my 3DS friend code and send me abuse on Letter Box?
tuddy

Postby liveswired » 08 Feb 2013, 22:00

Ebonflow wrote:"Alright, let's clear something up: why does Sonic need a car to get around? He's the fastest hedgehog alive, after all."

Why can't bowser use his fire and blaze everything in a race? Why can't tennis players catch the ball? Why can't football players use stun guns?

Seriously starting off the review with a whiny post is something that should be avoided, another thing, this is a spin off. This is also a race with vehicles, Sonic isn't a vehicle, fast or not he's at least using a fast car. Not to mention if you ACTUALLY have been playing Sonic games for awhile Sonic likes a challenge and will follow rules accordingly and win these challenges.

He's a competitor, and stuff. Seriously start of the review with something worth while.

Well said. Mario is a plumber that runs, plays tennis, fights, races, basketball........you name it Mario has done it. Yet to the t**ts at NOM say that Sonic can't do anything other than run? GIVE US A BREAK!

If Mario Kart 7 was Sonic Kart I have no doubt it would've been slapped with a big 70% by the boys at NOM.
liveswired

Postby tuddy » 08 Feb 2013, 22:15

liveswired wrote:
Ebonflow wrote:He's a competitor, and stuff. Seriously start of the review with something worth while.

Yet to the t**ts at NOM say that Sonic can't do anything other than run? GIVE US A BREAK!

Plus, the whole "WHY IS SONIC IN A CAR GUYS SERIOUSLY WHY?" joke was overdone when the the first Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing game came out in 2010. He's been seen in racing games, driving a car no less, for nearly 19 years at this point. As much as I like NOM, there's scraping the bottom of the barrel, then there's digging through the bottom of the barrel and ending up in China.
Why not add my 3DS friend code and send me abuse on Letter Box?
tuddy

Postby King Slazo » 08 Feb 2013, 22:38

I genuinely fear for people who blow a gasket over a perfectly normal offhand joke.
~ if we make it through the night we'll watch the morning sun ~ endless tweetnobabble
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby MatthewONM » 09 Feb 2013, 00:49

sonicka wrote:I think we should get one thing clear, this game is better than Mario Kart - but not running on the 3DS it appears.

That simply isn't true. You can call us blinkered Nintendo zealots until you go red in the face, it doesn't detract from the fact that Mario Kart is a beautifully constructed game. It's a purer racer, more finely balanced and far more technically competent than this offering (going by the direct 3DS version comparison - we've nothing to compare the Wii U Sonic too). Sonic may do stuff that Nintendo should take on board - a more ambitious single player mode - but that's really where we draw the line.

SASRT is a gimmicky racer, throwing around large, barren levels full of flashy background noise to detract from the fact that the course design is pretty flat and that one third of the vehicles are properly stink-o-magic (the boats, in case you were wondering). The idea that we'd mark it down because of the characters in the driving seat is frankly ludicrous. Show me one Mario Kart review where the critics highlight the roster/setting as a reason why the game is so good. In fact, much of the praise for SARST is aimed at the use of characters/brands - it's arguable that, stripped of the Sega cladding, it'd be this game scoring lower.

Now let's have no more of this tedious conspiracy guff.
MatthewONM
ONM Staff

Postby sambrown64 » 09 Feb 2013, 19:54

Is there/will there be a downloadable demo for this version? I'm still not sold...
3652-0543-1657
sambrown64

Postby liveswired » 10 Feb 2013, 10:32

MatthewONM wrote:
sonicka wrote:I think we should get one thing clear, this game is better than Mario Kart - but not running on the 3DS it appears.

That simply isn't true. You can call us blinkered Nintendo zealots until you go red in the face, it doesn't detract from the fact that Mario Kart is a beautifully constructed game. It's a purer racer, more finely balanced and far more technically competent than this offering (going by the direct 3DS version comparison - we've nothing to compare the Wii U Sonic too). Sonic may do stuff that Nintendo should take on board - a more ambitious single player mode - but that's really where we draw the line.

SASRT is a gimmicky racer, throwing around large, barren levels full of flashy background noise to detract from the fact that the course design is pretty flat and that one third of the vehicles are properly stink-o-magic (the boats, in case you were wondering). The idea that we'd mark it down because of the characters in the driving seat is frankly ludicrous. Show me one Mario Kart review where the critics highlight the roster/setting as a reason why the game is so good. In fact, much of the praise for SARST is aimed at the use of characters/brands - it's arguable that, stripped of the Sega cladding, it'd be this game scoring lower.

That's true, as much as we like to pick at Mario Kart because Nintendo won't flesh it out - there's still no other kart racer that even comes close to nailing the formula. Rival titles such as Modnation and Little Big Planet have rubbish gameplay despite the mass of content. I know I'd rather have gameplay any day and fortunately that's what Nintendo titles have in spades.

On another topic I wish Rare held out on Diddy Kong Racing DS and launched a proper upgraded port on the 3DS. I felt the DS title was a real downgrade - particularly the graphics, the vehicle handling and the pointless additions.
liveswired

Postby sonicka » 10 Feb 2013, 22:53

MatthewONM wrote:

Thing is though Matt, I do adore the Mario Kart Series. But it's really beginning to wear on me with the last few entries. I don't deny how tightly designed all of Nintendo's course's are - but they mostly lack the excitement and I feel they're designing the game a little too safe these days for players.

Mario Kart 7 did have some remarkable new tracks (and the 3-sectioned courses were also some of my favorites), but it also had plenty of lackluster familiar feeling ones as well that were set in familiar locations we've seen plenty of times before. What killed the game for me was the single player mode admittedly (which is something we do agree on) - and I still don't understand the downgrade in this section of the game after the sort of content Mario Kart DS offered. But completing the GP only mode was enough for me to sell the game after a week, and a few wonderful tracks weren't going to keep me enthused unfortunately (as I'm not much of an online player) - and it didn't help that the retro section offered (IMO) a poor selection of tracks from the previous MK entries.

Now, I can't say anything about SAASRT on 3DS as I haven't played it (though I am supremely disappointed it's not different from it's console brethren as I don't care to own the same game twice.) I don't know weather it's fair to compare the console versions of SAASRT to Mario Kart 3DS (or even Wii), but I can't see how you see it as a 'gimmicky' racer in any form as it fully makes use of the idea in the title - 'Transformed' and takes the kart genre too another level, beyond Mario Kario, and further on from the likes of Diddy Kong Racing.

I really have praise the Sumo Digital for doing something different with this idea and running with it - that the Vehicles (and even the Tracks!) can shift and transform with you every lap really keeps things fresh, exciting and well paced for an enjoyable ride. It also makes repeat plays more accessible and enjoyable because there it feels like a fresh ride with new paths to discover.

And, to be fair... it's really Nintendo that gave us Gimmicks in Mario Kart 7 with those underwater track features and the gliding. Whilst it's a nice addition, they hardly add much to the gameplay in the same way and I felt that they really were a novelty idea that were underused on many of the tracks included.

SAASRT has some fantastic track design though. I'm sorry, but that can't be up for dispute surely? Bland? Barren? ...What?! There is so much more variation when those tracks transform in lap 2 or 3, and on top of that we get kart racing with a blend of hydro thunder and starfox-style racing to boot. Of course the characters and branding of the tracks add to the flavour of the overall game experience, but I find it an ambitious assumption for you to say that if you strip away the SEGA cladding that you'd be left with a blander karting game when really the same could really be said of the Mario Kart titles as well. ;)

It's a shame a lot of the ONM staff don't seem to have taken to SAASRT, and I don't think I'm alone when I say it really is that good. But, everyone has their own opinions on the game at the end of the day, so that's fair enough. I think I just feel that Sumo Digital may have the edged the Karting genre into new territory... maybe some aren't ready for that yet, but it sure as hell excites me. It's Nintendo that need to be taking some pretty serious notes, because while Mario Kart is a competent and well designed racer, it's also stuck in a rut with it's ways, and it needs to evolve itself beyond the current experience it's provided gamers for over a decade now.

On a side note - I'm with you Matt on reading those ridiculous 'Sonic + Car = The Lower Score' comments making the rounds. This people, really is a load of old rubbish that needs to be dropped.
sonicka

Postby deKay » 11 Feb 2013, 15:12

And this is £15 at Zavvi already!
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby Tavex » 12 Feb 2013, 01:11

Just to clear up the whole "whys sonic in a car?" thing, you said it yourself he's the fastest hedgehog alive...wouldn't it be a little unfair if he wasn't restricted to a vehicle? Actually its kinda sad that I remember this this but in the manual for the original sonic allstars racing game it actually says Sonic's in a car for that reason so there its settled :P
Tavex

Postby Blue Toad » 12 Feb 2013, 14:37

MatthewONM wrote:

That simply isn't true. You can call us blinkered Nintendo zealots until you go red in the face, it doesn't detract from the fact that Mario Kart is a beautifully constructed game. It's a purer racer, more finely balanced.

I respect your difference of opinion, but...you do realise the Blue Shell completely goes against your comments? An item that punishes you for doing well (and let me make this clear, I'm not a competitive/snaking player) and is completely impossible to avoid. (Unless you had a mushroom, but let's be realistic; that's not very often at all.) Contrast with Racing Transformed where you have the Bees, which while posing a threat, are still possible to avoid, and they don't hurt you so badly you end up grinding to an agonizing halt...unlike Mario Kart and it's magnitude of overpowered, sometimes very unnecessary weapons like the Bullet Bill, which serves no different purpose to the Star. It's the same for SEGA with falling off the track; you're put back on instantly, at a good sense of speed, you still have a chance to succeed with skill...Mario Kart just stops you and it's like a caterpillar crawling to catch up to a pack of cheetahs for a moment or two.

I must admit, again full respect but I'm baffled as to you thinking the game is bland...some of the design aspects are fantastic, such as blasting up the steps of the Shinobi Shrine, or blitzing through rings in the NiGHTs world. Heck, I'd even go as far to say that the first time you do the final lap of the Skies of Arcadia track gives you that same sense of awe and memorable amazement that going down the flagpole for the first time in Super Mario Bros gives you. And this is all from someone whose first game was Super Mario Kart and who has grown up on the franchise. I'm not even that huge of a SEGA fan in retrospect; the main reason I brought this game was for Skies of Arcadia...and Ulala. =P

But I think SEGA Racing Transformed has left a definite impression on how to innovate and push the envelope in the kart racing genre; creativity was everywhere in this title and it worked so very well with superb gameplay elements. (The boating is fine IMO.) I really hope Mario Kart takes a leaf and looks at ways to really challenge itself, because the series is in dire need of it at this point besides minor tweaks like 'bikes' and 'falling with style'. Unfortunately, I don't see it changing, because Mario Kart 7 came out only a year ago, and we're already hearing of a Mario Kart game for the Wii U at E3. Nintendo shouldn't rush the series to gain heavy sales because they risk making the formula stale. Look at New Super Mario Bros. Look at Animal Crossing City Folk, rushed for the Wii. At least the team learned and really pushed the envelope with New Leaf by taking their time. I can only hope Mario Kart can learn from these experiences and become something that isn't just pushed out without any heart or consideration besides making a quick million or two, unlike SEGA Racing, where the team ploughed and hammered effort, charm and balance into their game...and succeeded. It's not just a celebration of SEGA's eclectic history, but it takes it's place right up there with NiGHTs, Jet Set Radio, Ecco the Dolphin and Toejam and Earl as being one of SEGA'S masterpieces.

Also, just for everyone else; Sonic originally WAS on foot. But he was horribly broken; impossible to hit with weapons due to how tiny he was and it looked silly to see a hedgehog bouncing off a car and not look fazed or anything. So he's in a vehicle for balancing purposes. =P
Blue Toad

Postby Waldy565 » 19 Feb 2013, 13:27

deKay wrote:And this is £15 at Zavvi already!

I'm sold :D
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565