Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Aliens Colonial Marines review round up - should Wii U owner

Comment on site articles.

'It fails to live up to the license,' say CVG

The Aliens Colonial Marines Wii U release date has yet to be revealed but judging by the review scores on other platforms, it looks like Gearbox's shooter will struggle to live up to the hype.

... read more

Aliens Colonial Marines review round up - should Wii U owner

Postby 5OUNDWAVE » 12 Feb 2013, 11:43

hell yeah !
5OUNDWAVE

Re: Aliens Colonial Marines review round up - should Wii U o

Postby Lonegamer » 12 Feb 2013, 12:12

have you played the wii u version yet? will be interesting to see if the wii u version is any good.
Lonegamer

Postby buddy1983 » 12 Feb 2013, 12:19

Im gutted, was really looking forward to this even if it got a higher score i wouldn't bother. 5 hOURS to complete, no thanks
buddy1983

Postby Kesskuron » 12 Feb 2013, 12:26

Almost done the campaign and had a quick go on multiplayer earlier.

The campaign is pretty bad; lots of glitches like dead aliens clipping through floors, texture pop in, AI allies standing on top of you so you're literally inside of them. There's a serious absence of any kind of polish as well; animations are janky and stiff, the sound balance feels off and all in all it feels almost like an early build of the game rather than a finished product. The AI is stupid as well and the story & characters are poor If you're planning on getting this for the single player, don't, it's not worth it.

Multiplayer however is much more enjoyable. The core of the game is enjoyable despite all its flaws, and that definitely comes across the most in multiplayer. Only played a handful of games thus far but I can see myself playing it for a while yet.
Last edited by Kesskuron on 12 Feb 2013, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
RB profile
Super Andre: I believe that fruit and veg WANT too be eaten
Kesskuron

Postby ploiper » 12 Feb 2013, 12:28

im still going to be getting it, still looks like an awsome game to me
EAT DIRT VILE SIG OF DOOM. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ploiper

Postby MrFamicom » 12 Feb 2013, 13:14

I'll get when it goes down £15
MrFamicom

Postby L_A » 12 Feb 2013, 13:18

5h long campaign? Wow.
L_A

Postby jaco_p » 12 Feb 2013, 13:22

Still want to play it, but i'll be much more reluctant to shell out the £50 they'll undeniably want for the Wii U version. That's £10 per hour of gameplay.... :|
i've met mario!!XD twice!
pm me someone please for wario diy, MH3, mariokart wii, brawl, etc i've got loadsa online games doing nuffin!
check out my registered games :-) http://www.nintendo-europe.com/user/jaco_pastorius
jaco_p

Postby debris » 12 Feb 2013, 14:12

I say we take off and nuke this game from orbit, it's the only way to be sure!
debris

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 12 Feb 2013, 14:12

I think I'll pass.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Postby Aboyandhissequel » 12 Feb 2013, 16:14

I dunno, a lot of the reviewers wanted a horror game; was always going to be straight action though, surely?

I ain't cancelling my pre-order. I wanna blow up some aliens.
As soon as there is a new Boy and His Blob game, for Wii U, 3DS or future Nintendo platform; I can delete this account and make a new one with a better name.

Make it happen Nintendo.
Aboyandhissequel

Postby Kyle Reese » 12 Feb 2013, 16:37

@ Aboyandhissequel - Your sig is wrong. Resident Evil died when Resi 5 came out.
Resi 4 was the start of it all. Resi 5 killed it, and Resi 6 was just the equivalent of kicking someone who is already dead.
Kyle Reese

Postby Element187 » 12 Feb 2013, 16:38

LOL, if Gearbox/Sega can get this game on the Wii U before any new titles release it will probably outsell the other systems because how hungry we are to play something new.

Yes, I think I'll get Aliens Colonial Marines just so I can play SOMETHING... If it releases before Monster Hunter/Wonderful 101/Pikmin 3, I'll spend the money I had laid aside for Rayman Legends on Aliens. :D
Element187

Postby Kyle Reese » 12 Feb 2013, 16:38

I already have the game on 360 and Im loving it so far(only 1 and a half hours in though).
The graphics are quite terrible, but the gameplay is fine, and its ALIENS!!
Im just annoyed that the Wii U version is not out already because I would have preferred to buy it on the Wii U for gamepad motion tracker, free online, and supposedly better graphics)
This will probably be the first game I will rebuy(after selling my 360 version) on another console in a LONG time. It sucks that I didnt have the choice to buy Wii U version on release date.
Kyle Reese

Postby Element187 » 12 Feb 2013, 16:39

buddy1983 wrote:Im gutted, was really looking forward to this even if it got a higher score i wouldn't bother. 5 hOURS to complete, no thanks

I think is more of like a Call of Duty, they tack on some crappy singleplayer experience, but seriously who buys Call of Duty for singleplayer?

Sounds like Aliens Colonial Marines is a great multiplayer game.
Element187

Postby GiftedGimp » 12 Feb 2013, 16:49

I want this more for multiplayer anyway. Aliens vs Predator was only average in campaign mode but Muliplayer was a lot of fun.
Trouble with AvP were the predators were overpowered in multiplayer, since this has no Predators the Multiplayer should a lot more balanced.
GiftedGimp

Postby Aboyandhissequel » 12 Feb 2013, 17:12

Kyle Reese wrote:@ Aboyandhissequel - Your sig is wrong. Resident Evil died when Resi 5 came out.
Resi 4 was the start of it all. Resi 5 killed it, and Resi 6 was just the equivalent of kicking someone who is already dead.

True, but Resi 6 was the first time that the developers literally stated 'we are focusing on action.' even though in reality that had happened a few games ago. The sig was created in response to that. Now, thankfully, they have changed their tune; and I was planning to change it to something else.
As soon as there is a new Boy and His Blob game, for Wii U, 3DS or future Nintendo platform; I can delete this account and make a new one with a better name.

Make it happen Nintendo.
Aboyandhissequel

Postby MatthewONM » 12 Feb 2013, 17:24

Kyle Reese wrote:I already have the game on 360 and Im loving it so far(only 1 and a half hours in though).
The graphics are quite terrible, but the gameplay is fine, and its ALIENS!!
Im just annoyed that the Wii U version is not out already because I would have preferred to buy it on the Wii U for gamepad motion tracker, free online, and supposedly better graphics)
This will probably be the first game I will rebuy(after selling my 360 version) on another console in a LONG time. It sucks that I didnt have the choice to buy Wii U version on release date.

Hmmm... two posts, and one of them is full of effusive praise for an (almost) universally panned game. Smells... fishy.
MatthewONM
ONM Staff

Postby dave666 » 12 Feb 2013, 20:05

maybe they rushed the other console versions to put extra work into the wii u version

I said maybe
dave666

Postby dave666 » 12 Feb 2013, 20:06

Kyle Reese wrote:@ Aboyandhissequel - Your sig is wrong. Resident Evil died when Resi 5 came out.

ha ha

well put

but lets not forget revelations
dave666

Postby ThePokekid78 » 12 Feb 2013, 20:59

debris wrote:I say we take off and nuke this game from orbit, it's the only way to be sure!

...I think a lot of people missed that great reference, which seriously worries me lol
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby liveswired » 12 Feb 2013, 21:54

Another disappointment - god only knows hows awful the Wii U version will look.
liveswired

Postby liveswired » 12 Feb 2013, 21:59

Element187 wrote:
buddy1983 wrote:Im gutted, was really looking forward to this even if it got a higher score i wouldn't bother. 5 hOURS to complete, no thanks

I think is more of like a Call of Duty, they tack on some crappy singleplayer experience, but seriously who buys Call of Duty for singleplayer?

Sounds like Aliens Colonial Marines is a great multiplayer game.

The funny thing is the Call of Duty single player experience is largely excellent but short. The amount of copycats like this simply fail to understand what exactly makes COD so good.

Gearbox got this one sooo wrong - 6 years and only a 5 hour campaign and limited multiplayer - what the hell have they been doing????
liveswired

Postby parker-skywalker » 13 Feb 2013, 13:22

I am going to wait for the actual WiiU reviews before i make judgement. However looking at the giant bomb quick look the game looks OK.
parker-skywalker

Next