Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Come on BAFTA! Nintendo deserved at least one nomination!

Comment on site articles.

Tom East thinks Nintendo Land deserved recognition

It's award season. Time for film, music and, yes, games fans to argue about the winners and nominees. On Sunday we had the real BAFTA awards and The Grammys and in 12 days time it will be The Oscars. The Brits will fall in between but they don't really count and this morning we received the nominations for the video game edition of the BAFTAs.

... read more

Come on BAFTA! Nintendo deserved at least one nomination!

Postby Mmmyeah » 12 Feb 2013, 12:59

I just had a bit of a rant in the previous story about what I think the problem is.

Sorry to be so frank but these awards just don't seem to be for the Nintendo style of gaming. They seem to be focused around a side of gaming I am not that keen on and that is games that try to be like movies. Its basically just like watching a terrible movie except every now and then you have to press a button or else the movie ends and you have to watch that same part again, unlike the style of gaming I like which is where the gameplay is actually relevant and the story is told through it. They really should leave the cinematics to cinema and concentrate on making games that do what games do best, instead of mimicking what films do best.

I think that gaming would be better if every developer played Link's Awakening, that's a game that does it right!

As for games that should win this year, I certainly think Resident Evil Revelations deserves a mention. Its a handheld game that is so clearly superior to its home console equivalents that it is being remade on them. To be honest though, I think these awards are irrelevant for us, we just play the games that we like to play! Its a shame to see them not get recognition but we will just have to continue talking about them, such as on sites like this.
Hey Reggie, where's the cats?
Mmmyeah

Re: Come on BAFTA! Nintendo deserved at least one nomination

Postby FamilyGAMEGuy8 » 12 Feb 2013, 13:12

My biggest problem stems from the most innovative section. Nintendo Land should have been a shoe-in for that section considering it showed off what the WiiU can do. So what did they pick instead? Call of Duty Black Ops 2, the least innovative game of all time...I smell something rigged here.
FamilyGAMEGuy8: The self-proclaimed No.1 Mario and Sonic fan in all of Taunton!
FamilyGAMEGuy8

Postby smashbros-kid » 12 Feb 2013, 14:44

You'd have thought Nintendo was a sure nomination for innovation in any sensible reality but apparently not.
It just goes to show how ridiculous these awards are, the same old games get nominated for the same categories each year. The focus always seems to be on multi-platform games from established, big selling franchises. The awards really don't mean anything, I play enough video games to know what I like.
I don't think Nintendo had any huge hits in 2012 but there's plenty of games that should've been at least nominated.
Hi.
Thanks for reading, you know its nice to see people like you reading what I have to say, and I aplaud you for puting up with my bad gramar and spelling mistacks.
smashbros-kid

Postby Mello » 12 Feb 2013, 14:58

Mmmyeah wrote:I just had a bit of a rant in the previous story about what I think the problem is.

Sorry to be so frank but these awards just don't seem to be for the Nintendo style of gaming. They seem to be focused around a side of gaming I am not that keen on and that is games that try to be like movies. Its basically just like watching a terrible movie except every now and then you have to press a button or else the movie ends and you have to watch that same part again, unlike the style of gaming I like which is where the gameplay is actually relevant and the story is told through it. They really should leave the cinematics to cinema and concentrate on making games that do what games do best, instead of mimicking what films do best.

I think that gaming would be better if every developer played Link's Awakening, that's a game that does it right!

As for games that should win this year, I certainly think Resident Evil Revelations deserves a mention. Its a handheld game that is so clearly superior to its home console equivalents that it is being remade on them. To be honest though, I think these awards are irrelevant for us, we just play the games that we like to play! Its a shame to see them not get recognition but we will just have to continue talking about them, such as on sites like this.

A few sweeping generalisations and exaggerations there, a lot of that isn't really much better than saying "Nintendo games are only suitable for kids because they're all bright colours and cute and chirpy and all that".

Not every game is for every person, a few people on both sides of the Nintendo divide could do with remembering that imo. The basic point you make is valid about cinematic games going a bit too far but then that seems to be what a huge segment of gaming's most dedicated audience want. Which of these games are basically just a bad movie where you just press a button and the movie ends? Dragons Lair? Besides Nintendo stuff I play a reasonable amount of PS3 stuff and I'm not sure how games like Skyrim, GTA, Fallout 3, Call of Duty, Uncharted (only played the first one), Infamous (ditto) and Assassin's Creed (just to mention some of the bigger series that tend to get big mainstream praise) fit into that description. Not saying the stories are always great, like most games, but to dismiss them as being movies with the odd button press is unbelievably harsh in most cases.

Games that aren't for you aren't necessarily bad games and often don't have a great deal wrong with them, they just don't appeal to you.

I don't understand the fuss about the baftas though, most games players know what they like and shouldn't need their taste in games justified by some panel or voters or however this stuff is done. Gamers have such wide ranging tastes that you have a bunch of people totally dedicated to the Monster Hunter games, another group who can't stand the Monster Hunter games (including me, based on the PSP games), visual novels, JRPGs, traditional Nintendo games, indie games, retro games, MMO, FPS, TPS, strategy, strategy/tactics JRPGs, horror, farming and about a million other different things, plus those who like to try as many different things as possible.

Nintendo do have the odd game that could have made it in given the competition, it isn't necessarily like anything legendary and revolutionary is being forced out, just two games from regular series and a very good multiplayer mini-game collection. Any one of those games might have got in, but that they didn't isn't necessarily the biggest deal as Nintendo have bigger games on the way that no doubt WILL get nominated in future (for whatever that is worth to you :D).
Mello

Postby KH81314 » 12 Feb 2013, 15:11

Nintendo Land is the best game on the Wii U so far and it was what made me love the console so much because of the great multiplayer games and how well the game fit the console.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby dragoncrasher » 12 Feb 2013, 15:35

To be honest, I think the videogame BAFTAs are just not Nintendo's kind of award show. I reckon Ninty should start their own. :mrgreen:
ImageImage

This sentence is not true.
PARADOXICAL!
dragoncrasher

Postby Mello » 12 Feb 2013, 16:24

dragoncrasher wrote:To be honest, I think the videogame BAFTAs are just not Nintendo's kind of award show. I reckon Ninty should start their own. :mrgreen:

Not Nintendo themselves as the awards would be redundant, but Nintendo-specific awards would be cool.

Do ONM do Nintendo-specific awards, game of the year type things? I can't remember and it's only February!

Edit, just googled and found a feature on it in December, weirdly AC 3 was in it but I didn't look much into it besides the first page (though I probably read it at the time :P).
Mello

Postby vtheyoshi » 12 Feb 2013, 17:36

Okami deserves a... Oh wait..... That was 2008.

Thanks to Liberal for the sig and avatar.
Kittens.: Right, because a three way between a corpse, the self-proclaimed "ONM overlord" and masa would be really sexy.
vtheyoshi

Postby Dalekbuster523 » 12 Feb 2013, 18:00

Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask should be nominated for best handheld and best game. It's so fun to play and addictive. Stupid that it's not amongst the BAFTA nominations.
Dalekbuster523

Postby Mmmyeah » 12 Feb 2013, 18:52

Mello wrote:
Mmmyeah wrote:I just had a bit of a rant in the previous story about what I think the problem is.

A few sweeping generalisations and exaggerations there, a lot of that isn't really much better than saying "Nintendo games are only suitable for kids because they're all bright colours and cute and chirpy and all that".

Not every game is for every person, a few people on both sides of the Nintendo divide could do with remembering that imo. The basic point you make is valid about cinematic games going a bit too far but then that seems to be what a huge segment of gaming's most dedicated audience want. Which of these games are basically just a bad movie where you just press a button and the movie ends? Dragons Lair? Besides Nintendo stuff I play a reasonable amount of PS3 stuff and I'm not sure how games like Skyrim, GTA, Fallout 3, Call of Duty, Uncharted (only played the first one), Infamous (ditto) and Assassin's Creed (just to mention some of the bigger series that tend to get big mainstream praise) fit into that description. Not saying the stories are always great, like most games, but to dismiss them as being movies with the odd button press is unbelievably harsh in most cases.

Games that aren't for you aren't necessarily bad games and often don't have a great deal wrong with them, they just don't appeal to you.
If it didn't sound like that is what I said then I apologise, but that is exactly what I meant. These games feel to me like they are bad movies and so I don't like them. The people who choose what gets nominated clearly do, but I do not like that style of game. So basically I am saying that I don't think gaming is wholly represented in these awards.

But as for the games you listed, I cannot help but think that the majority still try to mimic cinema, but if they were in fact films they would be very poor films. I'm not saying nobody enjoys them, clearly people do, but I don't, and the style of game I do enjoy is simply not represented here, which while doesn't affect me much as a gamer, it is a bit disheartening to see some very talented people completely ignored in one of the biggest video game award ceremonies.
Hey Reggie, where's the cats?
Mmmyeah

Postby gmundy » 12 Feb 2013, 20:24

For a start, Mumford and Sons are brilliant, I listen to them every day! It is a shame that Nintendo haven't been nominated, yes, but there have only been about 4 great Nintendo games that I have played in the last year, although I admitt I haven't played that many of the Nintendo games released last year but to be fair, not many of them were well advertised and not that many appealed to me.
gmundy

Postby K-tet » 13 Feb 2013, 11:22

The issue is this, they don't seem to care about Nintendo at present. That was made painfully apparent last year when Nintendo had nominations but didn't win a bean, and to be fair, it should have won the Handheld Game award for Super Mario 3D Land but didn't, it lost to some gimmicky iPad game which funnily enough I've forgotten the name of. Last year I remember infamously for when Kinect Sports won a prize and the first words uttered by Rare were "Rare's back baby!" God how I wanted to be there just to Falcon Punch that guy in the face.

No doubt Nintendo should be in line for awards, but at this moment in time, there's nothing new and interesting enough to topple the monotonous norm at the moment. The Wii U also needed to sell a lot more than 40,000 units in the UK alone for any of its games to have been recognised. If it had sold double that, perhaps Nintendo Land would have been recognised.
K-tet