Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Smash Bros creator believes most video game stories are irri

Comment on site articles.

Why Sakurai wrote Kid Icarus Uprising himself

Smash Bros creator Masahiro Sakurai has used his Famitsu column to sound off about irritating stories in videogames. According to Sakurai, the stories told in games can interfere with the gameplay.

... read more

Smash Bros creator believes most video game stories are irri

Postby Slinkington » 14 Feb 2013, 11:27

I agree 100%. I'll typically watch the story to a video game once, then if the game was actually good, I'll play it again numerous times, WITHOUT paying attention to the story.
Slinkington

Re: Smash Bros creator believes most video game stories are

Postby Commandervideo » 14 Feb 2013, 11:47

I usually hate stories in games (apart from the layton series) that's why I play Mario XD
My Colors!3D Gallery
THE BEST EQUALS = MK7 + SSBB + SM64
Commandervideo

Postby vix_chan » 14 Feb 2013, 12:07

It's nice that he has worked so closely with the game.
Thanks for the votes everyone.
vix_chan

Postby LOZanges » 14 Feb 2013, 12:15

A couple of weeks ago I had an idea for a very story based video game, (no cut scenes though, and all the story sequences are skippable!) here's the plot synopsis in around about 7 lines:

You are an army veteran who had you're squad leader turn against you and became the leader of an evil alien organisation. You were a 20-year old then and now, about 10 years later, you're ex-squad leader has made a doomsday device. So you leave you're Mum to go save the world. But... You're team is assembled of rookies who don't even know how to fire a gun. So you'll have to train them, survive, steal alien's weapons and still save the day. You've got you're work cut out for you. You defeat your arch nemesis, although you're friends were shot and when you come back, you come back a hero. But.. you're Mum's got lung cancer. She dies in you're arms and of course you are terribly sad. You find a machine that could revive you're Mum (for one week, to say goodbye.), or it could revive you're friends (for the rest of their lives.). YOU make the decision.

The game would be a hard-as-nails, FPS/Strategy game set in the year 2028.
JoeONM: LOZanges is as good as Dynasty Warriors!

MatthewONM: LOZanges is nearly as good as me!

GavONM: LOZanges is as good as Nintendo Unleashed!
LOZanges

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 14 Feb 2013, 12:32

I'm a bit more varied in my tastes. There are plenty of games that I will play because of the characters and story, even if the gamplay isn't ground braking. Thinking of games like Ace Attorney or the Another Code/Kyle Hyde games in which it is the story that makes them so enjoyable that I don't really mind that there isn't a great deal of "playing" involved.
That said, I equally love games (and they tend to be the older ones) where the story is vitually nonexistant, yet they feature brilliant action or puzzles.
I've got some cool video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble, so please check them out.
Latest Design: GURU-GURU, the Windmill Man
Don't forget about my Colors! Gallery
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby jack.whittingham » 14 Feb 2013, 12:37

Bad stories in games are irritating, yes, but some stories are fantastic and make the game what it is. The best two series for this are:

Professor Layton: has the best story line ever written.
Pokemon: has some exciting stories to go with the great battling
3DS friend code: 1676-4144-9836

Animal Crossing Dream Address: 7000-2187-1635

Officially a K.K. Slider Diehard
jack.whittingham

Postby Fishman92 » 14 Feb 2013, 13:39

LOZanges,

stop using you're like that. You're is a shortened form of "you are". Use "your" for possesion. Like "your mum".

Anyway, I actually like a good story in game. I like having some meaning behind what I'm doing in game.
Fishmaniacs Network
Fishman92

Postby LOZanges » 14 Feb 2013, 14:46

Fishman92 wrote:LOZanges,

stop using you're like that. You're is a shortened form of "you are". Use "your" for possesion. Like "your mum".

Yeah, I forget that sometimes. :P
JoeONM: LOZanges is as good as Dynasty Warriors!

MatthewONM: LOZanges is nearly as good as me!

GavONM: LOZanges is as good as Nintendo Unleashed!
LOZanges

Postby ThePsychicExtrem » 14 Feb 2013, 17:04

He mentioned Kid Icarus: Uprising, That's A new one confirmed.
ThePsychicExtrem

Postby KH81314 » 14 Feb 2013, 17:06

I personally didn't enjoy the story for Kid Icarus that much. It was all over the place. At one point you had Medusa and then aliens.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby billywest » 14 Feb 2013, 19:30

Xenoblade's story is one of the best when it comes to videogames! :D
billywest

Postby Spyrolad » 19 Feb 2013, 13:09

Kid Icarus is the perfect example of how to do a game right.
How anyone thinks that Skywards Sword's start is acceptable is beyond me.
Spyrolad

Postby SmashBro2712 » 24 Feb 2013, 19:45

I agree and i dont at the same time. I agree that a story can just complicate things if it's to heavy-handed and forced at you and if it's not a particularly good one (Metroid: Other M anyone? I like that game but could be a bit messy) But when a game has a good story then you get absorbed into it more, games like Mass Effect in which storytelling is one of the main aspects of the game get praised highly for their stories. Xenoblade is a good example too; the story was great and the characters were fantastic and that made the game better. I think when people complain about games having more emphasis on storytelling is a bit stupid to be honest, it just seems to be something the older generation complain about since they grew up with not-so-great stories like Mario and the original Zelda on NES.
All in all, a game having being more story-focused isn't always a good thing if it is shoddily written an just uninteresting and tedious. But nor is it a bad thing either, providing it is done right, the game becomes more involving, immersive and memorable. Like I said I feel that the point of view that story-focus is bad is outdated and gaming has moved on from when all that happened is girls being kidnapped. But i only want video-game stories to be good or not there, if they're bad, then the game becomes cringe-worthy and tedious.
SmashBro2712