Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

First Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D trailer

Comment on site articles.

See DK's 3DS debut in action

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D was one of the biggest announcements during Nintendo Direct. Set for release on 3DS in summer 2013, you can see the remake of the Wii classic in action by watching the trailer below.

... read more

First Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D trailer

Postby MarioWalrus » 14 Feb 2013, 18:28

I think this will be a great port, however I am slightly worried. Is this the game that retro studios has been developing? If so then I am rather disapointed that they are not producing a new star fox, metroid or fzero game
MarioWalrus

Re: First Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D trailer

Postby shy guy 64 » 14 Feb 2013, 19:35

so it is just the wii version on the 3ds then

i think i'll give it a miss then
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby legend1992 » 14 Feb 2013, 19:43

MarioWalrus wrote:I think this will be a great port, however I am slightly worried. Is this the game that retro studios has been developing? If so then I am rather disapointed that they are not producing a new star fox, metroid or fzero game

Chances are this won't be the major project they've been working on - whatever that is, it's already been confirmed that it's just for the Wii U, not 3DS.
legend1992

Postby KH81314 » 14 Feb 2013, 19:48

Have already played the Wii version so its a pass for me buts its a great game and I recommend anybody that hasn't bought it to get it.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby Bhaggie » 14 Feb 2013, 19:51

I hope they add some new levels otherwise I probably won't get it as I have it on Wii
Bhaggie

Postby Scraggy man » 14 Feb 2013, 20:39

legend1992 wrote:
MarioWalrus wrote:I think this will be a great port, however I am slightly worried. Is this the game that retro studios has been developing? If so then I am rather disapointed that they are not producing a new star fox, metroid or fzero game

Chances are this won't be the major project they've been working on - whatever that is, it's already been confirmed that it's just for the Wii U, not 3DS.

That's good news. Cheers for that sense of relief
Scraggy man

Postby cheatmaster30 » 14 Feb 2013, 20:42

Here's hoping they flesh out the Golden Temple and make it an actual world with all the cool stuff found in the concept art. Because I'm not sure I'm interested in just a straight port.
A Good Nintendo 3DS Forum
Someone I'm friends with owns the above.
Want Super Mario 3D Land news and info? Click here
Proud subscriber, Waluigious writer, game modder, world record attempter and ex glitch hunter.
cheatmaster30

Postby Commandervideo » 14 Feb 2013, 22:06

cheatmaster30 wrote:Here's hoping they flesh out the Golden Temple and make it an actual world with all the cool stuff found in the concept art. Because I'm not sure I'm interested in just a straight port.

Yeah the golden temple was probably the only bad level in the entire game. But I doubt I'll be getting this despite it being a fantastic game on Wii.
My Colors!3D Gallery
THE BEST EQUALS = MK7 + SSBB + SM64
Commandervideo

Postby lrwr14 » 14 Feb 2013, 22:35

Haven't played the Wii version, and from watching the trailer it looks like I missed out. Looking forward to this, I do prefer this type of game on a handheld, so I will be getting this.
Master of the Long Sword.
lrwr14

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 15 Feb 2013, 11:54

lrwr14 wrote:Haven't played the Wii version, and from watching the trailer it looks like I missed out. Looking forward to this, I do prefer this type of game on a handheld, so I will be getting this.

I'm inclinced to agree with you, but I hear its really really hard, particularly those minecart stages. The ones in the original DKC were frustrating enough for me.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: Ys - Adol | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby adamatsu » 15 Feb 2013, 12:16

wheeee DKC returns was one of my favourite wii games, is this confirmed as being developed by Retro then? the 3DS is the greatest!!!
adamatsu

Postby reeesy » 15 Feb 2013, 12:46

Looking forward to this.
Last edited by reeesy on 15 Feb 2013, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
reeesy

Postby reeesy » 15 Feb 2013, 12:50

MartinIsAwesome wrote:
lrwr14 wrote:Haven't played the Wii version, and from watching the trailer it looks like I missed out. Looking forward to this, I do prefer this type of game on a handheld, so I will be getting this.

I'm inclinced to agree with you, but I hear its really really hard, particularly those minecart stages. The ones in the original DKC were frustrating enough for me.

I remember playing this on the Wii and thinking it was one of the hardest games iv ever played. But it's hard in a good way. It's rarely the games fault and the level design is top notch. Highly recommend it if you haven't played it before.
reeesy

Postby adamatsu » 15 Feb 2013, 13:11

adamatsu wrote:wheeee DKC returns was one of my favourite wii games, is this confirmed as being developed by Retro then? the 3DS is the greatest!!!

hold on it's a remake of the wii version with maybe some new content? oh ok, well i'm up for that as well!
adamatsu

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 15 Feb 2013, 14:26

Include some new levels,and make Diddy playable in single player,and I might go for it.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Postby wghtmf » 15 Feb 2013, 19:43

At first I was disappointed it wasn't a sequel, but as I have only borrowed the original and never owned it for myself, I think it's time to re-experience it.
'Don't question game logic, or the universe will implode.' ~ PkGam, YouTube
wghtmf

Postby liveswired » 16 Feb 2013, 09:05

LOL, of course this isn't what they've been working on. This is a straight up 3D port of a Wii game - not exactly a challenging release - the team behind this probably only started porting in January.
liveswired

Postby lrwr14 » 16 Feb 2013, 18:50

liveswired wrote:LOL, of course this isn't what they've been working on. This is a straight up 3D port of a Wii game - not exactly a challenging release - the team behind this probably only started porting in January.

It's a lot harder to port then you think, it's not as easy as copy and pasting. It's being built up from the ground.
Master of the Long Sword.
lrwr14

Postby epiclink » 20 Feb 2013, 19:45

Now I'm waiting for Star Fox on Wiiu, please Retro, please.
EPICLINK! IT'S LINK BUT MORE EPIC!

THINKS HE FOUND TOTAKA'S SONG ON BRAWL

but he doesn't know if he's RIGHT or WRONG.
epiclink