Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

First Pokemon Rumble U screenshots, see Pikachu in HD!

Comment on site articles.

Check out 15 images of the first Pokemon Wii U game

It's been a great week for Pokemon fans. We had a new Pokemon X and Y trailer starring Sylveon, the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates To Infinity UK release date was announced and now we have the first Pokemon Rumble U screenshots.

... read more

Postby Tailzy » 15 Feb 2013, 16:46

isn't it great to see Pokemon in HD?

The models look as horribly jagged as ever, so probably not
3ds fc: 0731 5021 3362
Tailzy

Postby ThePsychicExtrem » 15 Feb 2013, 16:48

Saw this in cocoro, Might get it in a sale, Because I have the first 2 and they are more or less the same, the second one just has more pokemon.
ThePsychicExtrem

Re: First Pokemon Rumble U screenshots, see Pikachu in HD!

Postby awesomeadam15 » 15 Feb 2013, 16:55

I would only get it if there are some changes in gameplay mechanics, otherwise it would be too similar to the previous two games.
GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!
Nintendo iD = Coatsy17
awesomeadam15

Postby Scraggy man » 15 Feb 2013, 16:59

Not what I had in mind for the the first HD Pokemon game for Wii U
Scraggy man

Postby GloverMist » 15 Feb 2013, 17:52

Tailzy wrote:The models look as horribly jagged as ever, so probably not

Hey, come on, they're origami-style toys. They're supposed to look like that (hopefully)!
I've got two words for you, people: FALCON and PUNCH!
By the way, check out and subscribe to my YouTube channel! I'm currently doing a Let's Play of Super Smash Bros. Brawl!
GloverMist

Postby alexjones94 » 15 Feb 2013, 17:59

I know they're meant to look like clockwork toys, but I don't think saying "we meant to make it look like an N64 game" excuses the fact that it looks awful. Plus, if it's anything like the previous games in the series, it's going to be (to quote a Castle quip) potent anti-fun. The only people who buy this are die-hard pokefans, or people who don't know better, I think it's a really turgid series.
alexjones94

Postby olrodlegacy » 15 Feb 2013, 19:08

I'm all for smaller games to keep fans entertained until the big ones, but really? Looks awful.
Twitter: @olrodlegacy 3DS Friend Code: 3523-2031-4532. PM me yours!

"There is a purpose greater than myself."
olrodlegacy

Postby IPecksU » 15 Feb 2013, 19:38

It looks like crap, and judging by the games before it, it'll play like crap too.
IPecksU

Postby Loopydoodle » 15 Feb 2013, 21:01

I like Pokemon Rumble, it offers a refreshing change from the RPG style of the main series and Super Pokemon Rumble for 3DS was excellent, and while the original lacked longevity it really encapsulated the "gotta catch'em all" nature of the Pokemon games and is certainly one of the better spin-offs, so I'm really looking forward to this game and with the Wii U gamepad the game makes even more sense than it did on 3DS. While the games are all pretty similar, Super Pokemon Rumble introduced loads of new features and I think people forget about that when saying they're all identical. :)
Loopydoodle

Postby regginator3 » 15 Feb 2013, 21:03

On the Facebook page Tom said "Doesn't Groudon look great in HD?".

No... no he doesn't. Even Matthew agrees that he looks ruddy awful. Seriously, that has got to be a joke right? I get Rumble has that art style but that doesn't mean the art style is good. And that doesn't excuse the extremely poor quality textures, either.
AdamAG: we're on the internet i dont need to have any sort of social integrity
regginator3

Postby blaziken411 » 15 Feb 2013, 22:55

well this isnt exactly what it will look like on wii u now is it?
why do people always have to hate the games with weird art styles? weird is good!!
and it looks a lot like pikmin
#Ampharoskingofjhoto
My brother made this.
3ds friend code: 4811-7239-6713
Nintendo Network ID : Black-wolf209
Youtube channel:OMGBOBJIM
alias: Blaxel
blaziken411

Postby IPecksU » 15 Feb 2013, 23:26

First they need to vastly improve on the style because, while some seem to like it, the reaction towards it is largely negative because we've seen better models on the N64. Then the combat needs to be made WAY deeper than just button mashing until everything dies. I don't know, maybe they could incorporate a fighting style with some influence from the batman arkham games and have more attacks, combos, a block button and gamepad features. Every included pokemon would need to have much more definable strengths and weaknesses too, maybe for example blastoise can soak up more hits than charizard and he charges his cannons so he can use them to take out a large number of oppenents at once, whereas charizard can dodge more and attack more quickly and aggressively. Having said that this would be difficult to implement for a game with 649 playable characters but I suppose they could make it easier by splitting the pokemon into different categories. AND IF THIS USES THE TOYS AS AN EXCUSE TO DO A SKYLANDERS I'LL BE SO SAD.

Anyway I'd love to see them do a 2D or Tekken style pokemon fighter, with maybe 30+ pokemon with the non playabless being assists and arena hazards. I'd urge them to stray away from just having humanoid fighting types though, a diverse roster is a great roster, and pokemon has the characters to offer that.
IPecksU

Postby IPecksU » 16 Feb 2013, 19:35

Can't wait to see how pikachu looks in HD in the HD free roaming multiplayer (please not mmo) pokemon RPG for the sake of selling a heaping ton of wii u's. Here's also hoping to pikachu making a comeback in smash bros :)
IPecksU