Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

LEGO City: Undercover: Your next Wii U blockbuster

Comment on site articles.

Traveller's Tales talk us through their most ambitious LEGO game yet

Whereas many dozens of toy companies have come and gone over the decades, LEGO continues to go from strength to strength. Quality of product aside, it was the company's decision to embrace technology and diversify that saw it steering clear of the jaws of change.

... read more

LEGO City: Undercover: Your next Wii U blockbuster

Postby CDS » 17 Feb 2013, 23:44

So considering a WiiU just to get this.
Forget the other games, it's all about LEGO City Undercover for me.
CDS

Re: LEGO City: Undercover: Your next Wii U blockbuster

Postby IPecksU » 18 Feb 2013, 03:13

I really want this but wii u games are so expensive right now!
IPecksU

Postby GiftedGimp » 18 Feb 2013, 03:16

I got bored of the Lego Film tie-ins tbh, They all started to feel to simular.
This looks like its going to have the typicle Humour of the Lego games but bring a whole load of fresh ideas.
I would of passed on this had I not got a WiiU, Fortunatly I do, and Will be getting this.
GiftedGimp

Postby Scraggy man » 18 Feb 2013, 03:26

I would like this game to do well both in reviews and Financially so Lego may make more of their own games with their own narratives in stead of movie tie in's.
Scraggy man

Postby LairOfRockwhales » 18 Feb 2013, 05:19

There seems to be quite a lot of ridiculous bashing of pre-TT games in this article, and I will strongly dissagree. I don't see how it took a long time to get it right. I mean, their very first attempt, LEGO Island, sold at least a million copies and continued to have sales of some sort for nearly a decade. I wouldn't say that it "came and went" or call it an attempt. True, the three titles that followed it in 1998 were a bit weaker, but they have their share of fans and fun elements. And really, quite a lot of the (MANY) pre-TT games have somewhat large fan followings (again, LEGO Island's million sales) - if you don't believe me, just look at the cult following for Rock Raiders.
So with that in mind... how is LEGO Racers the first "proper" video game? As you said, several LEGO titles were released on PC... shouldn't you have said it was the sixth title (or seventh, depending on the release of Friends)? How did you get that it was the first? And, why mention that it was released on N64? Its primary release was PC, with the PS1 version being a port of that. The N64 was a heavily compressed version and somewhat inferior to the other two releases. What's so special about it?
LEGO Racers was not followed by BIONICLE games. BIONICLE didn't come out until 2001, and Racers was in 1999. There were quite a number of LEGO games between it and BIONICLE, including a lot of ports on the GBC if we're discussing Nintendo consoles, so you're really ignoring the complete existence of a lot of titles. And what's all that bad about the BIONICLE titles?
On an unrelated note, LCU was not first announced in June 2011. It was first mentioned in The Brick 2009, an annual LEGO magazine. So there's something.
LairOfRockwhales

Postby Gorsewaygirl » 18 Feb 2013, 11:06

I don't like the bashing of previous TT games in this article either. I have bought every Lego game TT have ever made. They are consistently high quality, they are fun, the take a long time to fully complete. And they sell well. The formula has been updated as time goes on so each is a little bit fresher than the last - I think they're great. I am looking forward to Lego City though - and the reason it's going to be great is because of the experience that TT have gained producing the games that have gone before.

I think when you review a game you should be objective, you shouldn't make it personal and mark a game down because YOU don't like it :0P
3DS code: 0817 3795 3527 – PM me if you add me :)
Gorsewaygirl

Postby Argenthor » 18 Feb 2013, 19:30

Gorsewaygirl wrote:I think when you review a game you should be objective, you shouldn't make it personal and mark a game down because YOU don't like it :0P

Mostly I agreed with you (although the games have become stale and yearly by now) but I would say that a review IS a personal opinion. While personal preference can colour someone's perspective (and yes it does happen with Nintendo games sometimes), a reviewer isn't wrong if they don't like a game. That's just silly.
Argenthor

Postby Mr Roboto » 18 Feb 2013, 20:47

I can't wait til March this is exactly what the Wii U needs right now!
Mr Roboto

Postby Alcom1 » 18 Feb 2013, 23:46

LairOfRockwhales wrote:There seems to be quite a lot of ridiculous bashing of pre-TT games in this article, and I will strongly dissagree.

Gorsewaygirl wrote:I don't like the bashing of previous TT games in this article either.

Lair was referring to pre-TT games, as in before TT games, as in not previous games developed under TT, but games developed before LEGO teamed up with TT. I've known Lair to not appreciate games past the TT era.

I don't like TT games. Give them points in quality all you want, the constant reuse of the same engine has bored me. I've bought four, completed the first two with enjoyment, but the overwhelming consistency drove me to boredom, and I 10-20%ed the last two.

LEGO Cities: Undercover is something new and brilliant looking, and I am going to actually buy a Wii U because of it. It is not based off a licensed theme, which means a lot to me.
Alcom1

Postby LairOfRockwhales » 19 Feb 2013, 01:45

Gorsewaygirl wrote:I don't like the bashing of previous TT games in this article either.

Say what? They're praising the TT games. It's the LEGO games made before TT sapped all the creativity (1997-2005) that they're bashing, and I feel that it's wrong.
LairOfRockwhales

Postby LairOfRockwhales » 23 Feb 2013, 01:14

So I guess the author never read my correction. Oh well.
LairOfRockwhales