Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Chrono Trigger beats Mario and Zelda in Games Radar's 100 be

Comment on site articles.

But what is the highest placed Nintendo game?

Chrono Trigger is the best game to have appeared on a Nintendo console. That's according to Games Radar who placed the SNES RPG ahead of Mario and Zelda games in their top 100 best games of all time.

... read more

Chrono Trigger beats Mario and Zelda in Games Radar's 100 be

Postby row101 » 19 Feb 2013, 09:58

Nonsense.

Zelda Ocarina of time, and skyward sword should have been in the top ten, with skyward sword No.1. Mario galaxy should also be in the top ten. ONM's top 100 was far better. I don't mind a few PS and Xbox titles, but Portal should not be No.1. Chrono trigger wasn't even that good, can't compare to Zelda. And no super Mario bros? Really? Super mario bros should have been in at least the top 20.
row101

Re: Chrono Trigger beats Mario and Zelda in Games Radar's 10

Postby NP Chilla » 19 Feb 2013, 10:18

What a bizarre list - it's filled with so many obscure and really recent games which rank so highly.

Who came up with it? Was there a vote?
NP Chilla

Postby Herbert_Rarr » 19 Feb 2013, 10:46

I wonder where Sonic was.
Free Nintendo points codes, 3DS and Wii U eShop codes, and many others here: http://lootpalace.com/?ref=182952. Guaranteed not a scam. PM me for more info.
Herbert_Rarr

Postby MrGooseyMoose » 19 Feb 2013, 11:16

That's a very, uh...strange list
'I pity you, you just don't get it at all...there isn't a thing i don't cherish!' - Cloud
MrGooseyMoose

Postby Mello » 19 Feb 2013, 11:47

Not that these lists are ever really all that important, but yeah that strikes me as a bit of an esoteric list. Wonder if Ocarina and Mario 64 were omitted for not holding up as well as newer games in the series, because in terms of influence those two games pretty much informed how 3D third person games are played.

EDIT - yep turns out they're being critical of games that don't stand up as well.

First, some ground rules. Our list ranks the best games to play today, and that's also why we refresh this list every year. Games like GoldenEye might be historically important, but they’re not necessarily what we’d pick up and play right now.

I'm not gonna be too critical of Chrono Trigger getting such a high result though, it's a classic RPG and many consider it the best of all time of it's genre. Prefer FF7 myself but then the cyberpunk style combined with the fact it was my first FF game combined with all the melodrama in the game are big reasons why it is my favourite.

The thing to remember is that 99% of us would probably write a list that loads and loads of other people would disagree with, so these things are only really any good if you take a boring objective approach to it. Even then people would disagree; Nintendo fans would always complain there isn't enough Nintendo, PC gamers would do the same and so on.
Mello

Postby alexjones94 » 19 Feb 2013, 11:52

Chrono Trigger is an absolutely stunning game and while I personally enjoyed the likes of Galaxy marginally more, that's just down to taste. It's nice to see Chrono Trigger getting some recognition, it's regularly overlooked.
alexjones94

Postby JamieRIOT » 19 Feb 2013, 12:56

Top 100 lists are opinions. Some people would agree entirely with their list, most won't. Portal 2 is one of my favourite games of all time, but I wouldn't put it at number 1.
JamieRIOT

Postby Spyrolad » 19 Feb 2013, 13:04

bull
Spyrolad

Postby ikkytack » 19 Feb 2013, 13:30

um... think you overlooked mother 3 at 31, ONM...

That game is godly
ikkytack

Postby debris » 19 Feb 2013, 13:45

No Super Mario 64!!, I'm calling <deleted> on this list, plus where the hell was Jet Set Willy......... They seemed to ignore quite a few Nintendo games on this list probably because if they didnt 75% of the top twenty would be Nintendo.
debris

Postby mooksam22 » 19 Feb 2013, 13:48

Chrono Trigger is an absolutely incredible game and one of my all-time favorites. I only played it for the first time on the DS, but it really struck me how forward thinking it must have been in 1995. It doesn't feel like an old game. It deserves recognition for its amazing soundtrack alone.
mooksam22

Postby KH81314 » 19 Feb 2013, 15:12

Even though I dont agree with this list (where is World Ends with You) I have played 14 of the games on the list.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby pokemaniac 212 » 19 Feb 2013, 16:11

It should be said that this list was limited to 1 game per franchise (splitting the 2D and 3D Mario games and other similar things), so the reason the likes of the first Super Mario Galaxy (since its actually 2 on the list) and all the various zelda games people are moaning about aren't there is that they thought that the game they did pick was better, and certainly as far as Wind Waker goes I'd agree personally.

In fact, apart from pokemon being a bit low for my liking I'd agree with much of this list. Portal 2 is an incredible game, taking everything people loved about the original and expanding on it massively, and in my opinion it fully deserves the top spot, and I suspect many people who've played it would agree.
LGonm: poke you're so [removed] liberal
pokemaniac 212
ONM Moderator

Postby Mew3 » 19 Feb 2013, 16:18

Correction: Chrono Trigger is the highest rated game for ds. Yes, I know it was on another console first, but not in England
Mew3

Postby bushmistro1 » 19 Feb 2013, 17:08

I think and correct me if I'm rong that this list only contains 1 entry from a series of games I.e. mario galaxy represents the 3d mario games therefore super mario 64 is omitted etc other mario games in the list such as mario kart 7 representing the mario kart series and paper mario the paper mario series I think the same is for the zelda games. Also a more appropriate title for their article woulda been best 100 game series but they chosen 1 per series
bushmistro1

Postby Mmmyeah » 19 Feb 2013, 19:14

pokemaniac 212 wrote:It should be said that this list was limited to 1 game per franchise (splitting the 2D and 3D Mario games and other similar things), so the reason the likes of the first Super Mario Galaxy (since its actually 2 on the list) and all the various zelda games people are moaning about aren't there is that they thought that the game they did pick was better, and certainly as far as Wind Waker goes I'd agree personally.
Oh, I see. Thats quite important really!
I'm not sure if I agree with that rule though. I would personally say that a list of greatest games should purely be about how great the game is, irrelevant of the franchise. I can see that they get a list that is more varied this way, but I can't agree that games like Ocarina of Time should be ommited, otherwise it isn't really a list of greatest games.
I also would agree with the idea of games becoming less enjoyable to play. From the SNES onwards I would say that technical constraints are not an issue at all.
Nevermind, I do agree that Chrono Trigger is fantastic, so its nice to see that get recognition. It's all down to personal taste anyway.
Hey Reggie, where's the cats?
Mmmyeah

Postby Xenobladeperson » 19 Feb 2013, 21:37

pokemaniac 212 wrote:In fact, apart from pokemon being a bit low for my liking I'd agree with much of this list. Portal 2 is an incredible game, taking everything people loved about the original and expanding on it massively, and in my opinion it fully deserves the top spot, and I suspect many people who've played it would agree.

But they didn't give Portal 2 the top spot. ONM misread it or something, Game Radar gave Portal 1 the top spot. You know, Portal 1, that game that lasts 2 hours. As much as I love the Portal series, I'm not sure if they deserve the top spot. The original was short and easy and the sequel had Old Aperture and an awful credits song. In every other aspect they where perfect, though.
Nintendo Ninja wrote:Never fear everything can be resolved by a large amount of violence
Xenobladeperson

Postby Zoolon » 31 Mar 2013, 05:17

Portal at the top sounds about right. Ain't one thang wrong with that game.
Zoolon