Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Does the free Rayman Legends online mode make up for the del

Comment on site articles.

Tom East has his say on Ubisoft's peace offering

Ubisoft really are trying hard to make up for the Rayman Legends delay but judging by the first comments I've read on the ONM website and Twitter it just isn't working.

... read more

Does the free Rayman Legends online mode make up for the del

Postby alexkinch » 19 Feb 2013, 12:35

Kinda... I love free stuff.

Thanks to MartinisAwesome for the sig,
Wii u Id is alexkinch
3ds FC is 2191 7652 3318
alexkinch

Re: Does the free Rayman Legends online mode make up for the

Postby AaronMclaren » 19 Feb 2013, 13:03

I just feel so sorry for the developers. They now have another 7 months to basically try improve something that was deemed 'complete' to launch in just a few weeks time. It's like the rush to get it ready for February was a complete waste of their time, and come September when it's released, everyone's attention will be elsewhere.
I don't see Legends doing as well in overall sales as it could have done, if the Wii U version was launched now/March. My preorder still stands, and I will be downloading the free challenge mode, but I can't say I'm impressed by this. The suits have monumentally cocked this right up :(
AaronMclaren

Postby Spyrolad » 19 Feb 2013, 13:21

I just can't support the decision to delay a completed game, giving me free stuff isn't going to help.
In fact, it makes it worse! If Ubisoft expect me to turn around and say "Thanks Ubisoft, material goods and always a good reason to circumvent my standing on such issues!", then maybe that says something about their own company philosophy.

I'll buy a game from a company which cares about making games and not just making money.
Never buying an Ubisoft game again.
Spyrolad

Postby toffeeman30 » 19 Feb 2013, 14:21

obviously seeking to appease rayman fans, ubisoft to release online challenge mode in april
toffeeman30

Postby SmashBro2712 » 19 Feb 2013, 14:26

Of course it doesn't make up for it, it's a start but it's not going to solve the bigger issues. One reason we ant Rayman Legends to be released now is that the developers have had a really hard time trying to get it ready for a February release, and now with that 7 months delay, all that extra effort is wasted - And Ubisoft thinks the way to make up for it is by pushing its employees to make yet more content and fast. Since the Wii U version is finished now, why not just release it now? I don't mind if it's now a multi-plat but why shelve a finished product? unless they release the game now (on Wii U anyway) then it's going to be overshadowed bu Wind Waker, new CoD, GTA5, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart, new consoles etc. Ubisoft are shooting themselves in the foot with this, I'm protesting for their sake not just for the Wii U owners.
SmashBro2712

Postby liveswired » 19 Feb 2013, 14:42

With the way the Dreamcast...whoops........Wii U is going you'll be lucky if it is released.
liveswired

Postby KH81314 » 19 Feb 2013, 14:48

Why would it take so long to just port a game and why would they decide to do that know is stupid.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby jaco_p » 19 Feb 2013, 15:31

I'm still annoyed with the rayman corporate suits but i'd be stoopid not to play all those cool looking online challenges and such. They're making the best of a bad situation
i've met mario!!XD twice!
pm me someone please for wario diy, MH3, mariokart wii, brawl, etc i've got loadsa online games doing nuffin!
check out my registered games :-) http://www.nintendo-europe.com/user/jaco_pastorius
jaco_p

Postby alexjones94 » 19 Feb 2013, 16:16

If I put my business hat on, I can absolutely see why Ubisoft did what they did. Disappointing? Yes. Understandable? Also yes. I don't think it's so harmful that they want their game to reach the widest audience, and from what I've seen they're working hard to make the Wii U version the superlative one. They could've quite easily delayed it and done nothing, but they're making an effort to appease the fans, and I appreciate that.
Last edited by alexjones94 on 19 Feb 2013, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.
alexjones94

Postby alexjones94 » 19 Feb 2013, 16:18

liveswired wrote:With the way the Dreamcast...whoops........Wii U is going you'll be lucky if it is released.

If you think Nintendo have any chance of going the way of Sega did, with the Wii U, you're barmy. Also, the Dreamcast joke is beyond unoriginal.
alexjones94

Postby MarioWalrus » 19 Feb 2013, 17:29

The multiplatform release is ubisofts decision. But I want to know, is it microsofts 3rd party policy that is forcing the simultanious release? :?
MarioWalrus

Postby nukuleardawg » 19 Feb 2013, 18:49

the dreamcast may have died but dont joke about one of the best consoles ever, dear god i hope they make shemnue 3 and a HD trilogy for wiiu. as for rayman, this may not make up for the delay but thank you anyway, il be downloading day one to play some more of his awesome game
nukuleardawg

Postby Argenthor » 19 Feb 2013, 18:58

Yay Croc!
Argenthor

Postby PokerusZero » 19 Feb 2013, 19:28

I truely feel sorry for the developers going through this. It must be awful to see your game that you've put countless time into making and it now being mocked and insulted all because of the fat cats at the tops decision. While this online mode doesn't make up for the delay I will still download it as it does look great but my feelings towards the delay remain the same as they should just release the game even though I do like all the free stuff they are giving us.
PokerusZero

Postby 3ds234 » 19 Feb 2013, 20:34

NO.We can be playing the full game or play a demo a month later.
3ds fc: 1719-3432-0688. Animal Crossing Dream suite address:6200-2218-5065 .Xbox Live: ciaranm 281. Pm me if you add me on any of them.

Currently playing:Monster Hunter 3,Pokemon Y/black2,GTA V,Battlefield 4,COD Black Ops 2, Borderlands 2.
3ds234

Postby Waldy565 » 19 Feb 2013, 20:38

Maybe it's because we were so blinded by the new world of 3D platforming that a 2D platformer starring a limbless hero with rubbish hair didn't have a hope.
COMPLETELY agree. I love Spyro though tbh, he WAS my third video gaming character (after Pokemon and all it's avatars and Sonic)
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby GiftedGimp » 20 Feb 2013, 01:21

KH81314 wrote:Why would it take so long to just port a game and why would they decide to do that know is stupid.

They Havnlt ported Rayman Legends to WiiU, they built it for WiiU, Xbox/Ps3 are getting ports and will miss out on some the unique touchpad features.

As for Challenge mode, making up for the delay, not really but its a middle ground but only if it remains exclusive to WiiU and coupled with the extra content they are are putting inot the WiiU version is Only in the WiiU version.

It disgusts me Ubisoft have delayed Rayman like they did, but I never subscribed to the notion "I'm not buying it".
After all based on the demo/previews its a fantastic game, so why should I miss out? Plus buy not buying it (and other ubisoft game as some have said they will boycott), only gives all 3rd party developers, not just ubisoft themselves more reason to not support WiiU, or stop supporting WiiU why would they? After all if current 3rd party support isn't backed by sales theres no reason to start or keep publishing on WiiU.

At the moment WiiU is at a point where 3rd party developers understand the architecture of the system, see its merits and support it, or Don't really understand the system and are not sure about supporting it, or Just not intersted.
Nintendo are dong thier part, holding confrences, having meetings, providing support to various 3rd party developers/publishers in the hope to get them to understand the WiiU and how best to support & develop for the platform. But we, the community need to do our part in showing these publishers we want them to support the WiiU buy buying 3rd party games, even if it means 'taking one for the team' and putting up with the odd bad decision made buy a suit.
GiftedGimp

Postby deKay » 20 Feb 2013, 12:19

NOTHING makes up for the delay. NOTHING.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby alexkinch » 20 Feb 2013, 16:01

deKay wrote:NOTHING makes up for the delay. NOTHING.

Extra content, free on line mode and a new demo not enough? I'm ok as it gives me something to look forward to

Thanks to MartinisAwesome for the sig,
Wii u Id is alexkinch
3ds FC is 2191 7652 3318
alexkinch

Postby deKay » 20 Feb 2013, 16:22

No. It doesn't.

The game is finished. Ubi are being selfish idiots and decided to go back on their word that it was Wii U exclusive making us all wait. The correct course of action for all concerned is to release it NOW, not delay it and fob us off with trinkets. I'm sure the overworked dev team are pleased...

When it comes out nobody will care any more, and it'll flop.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby King Slazo » 20 Feb 2013, 16:31

deKay wrote:When it comes out nobody will care any more, and it'll flop.

Except those people on 360 and PS3, the platforms on which Rayman Origins sold the most.

The only people being "selfish idiots" are those still bitching when the developers are making the best of an unfortunate scenario by giving you more content.
~ a r r o g a n c e e t e r n a l ~ to tweetfinity and beyond
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby deKay » 20 Feb 2013, 16:36

Except they won't care because COD and GTA are out at the same time.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby deKay » 20 Feb 2013, 16:38

And don't think the devs are happy - the game they crammed to finish on time, is now something they have to continue working on for another 6 months.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby King Slazo » 20 Feb 2013, 16:52

deKay wrote:Except they won't care because COD and GTA are out at the same time.

Origins also had to face CoD, along with Skyrim and Arkham City. Didn't stop it selling well enough to get a sequel.

deKay wrote:And don't think the devs are happy - the game they crammed to finish on time, is now something they have to continue working on for another 6 months.

I never said the devs were happy, I said they were making the best of a bad situation. If anything, they're working harder for the outraged minority by making more content for them, while they're porting it over to other platforms which it'll inevitably sell better on.
~ a r r o g a n c e e t e r n a l ~ to tweetfinity and beyond
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby LOZanges » 20 Feb 2013, 17:01

Spyrolad wrote:Never buying an Ubisoft game again.

Then Ubi announce a sucsessor to ZOMBI and ZOMBIU and it looks to be the best game ever. No delays. No multiplatform.
Then you'll want to buy a Ubisoft game, won't you?
JoeONM: LOZanges is as good as Dynasty Warriors!

MatthewONM: LOZanges is nearly as good as me!

GavONM: LOZanges is as good as Nintendo Unleashed!
LOZanges

Next