Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

F-Zero was mindblowing

Comment on site articles.

Forget F-Zero X or GX. The SNES original found the best balance between velocity and style, says Craig Owens

More than just a pretty race: the blistering SNES launch title F-Zero might have shown off the brand new console's newfangled Mode 7 technology, but beneath the pseudo-3D surface was a brisk, breakneck speedster and purest racing game Nintendo has ever made. Speed freak Craig Owens reminisces about zooming down Mute City's sky-high straights, soaking up the sun on Big Blue, and taking the Blue Falcon for its very first ride

... read more

F-Zero was mindblowing

Postby ChandraONM » 20 Feb 2013, 17:11

I've got a pristine, boxed copy of the Super Famicom version at home. Mmmmmm. . . amazing game but so hard on the highest difficulty.
Virgin Atlantic used to have it on their flights but the controller was always broken :shock:
ChandraONM
ONM Staff

Re: F-Zero was mindblowing

Postby CyberGW » 20 Feb 2013, 17:15

I may download this tomorrow.
Sounds really fun, and at 30p, you can't really go wrong!
Current Favourite Game: Tomodachi Life
Most Anticipated Game: Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS
NNID: CyberGW
CyberGW

Postby Darkblizz » 20 Feb 2013, 17:47

GameCube sequels sacrificed some of the graphical detail for the sake of speed and framerates

Are you insane? GX looks fantastic even today. Buildings loom up around you, creatures swim in the air around you in Sand Ocean, display screens in cities are always changing, you can see every scratch and bit of chipped paint on the machines....
Darkblizz

Postby Waldy565 » 20 Feb 2013, 18:15

Nice to see another article from the mag ONM :(
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby jaco_p » 20 Feb 2013, 18:16

as you say, x and gx were much faster than the original, oh, and they had multiplayer and looked better.
Don't get me wrong, this must have been the first snes game i played and i loved it. But it doesn't stand up as much today as it's succesors. Plus it cheated
i've met mario!!XD twice!
pm me someone please for wario diy, MH3, mariokart wii, brawl, etc i've got loadsa online games doing nuffin!
check out my registered games :-) http://www.nintendo-europe.com/user/jaco_pastorius
jaco_p

Postby Zaphod_B » 20 Feb 2013, 18:18

Darkblizz wrote:
GameCube sequels sacrificed some of the graphical detail for the sake of speed and framerates

Are you insane? GX looks fantastic even today. Buildings loom up around you, creatures swim in the air around you in Sand Ocean, display screens in cities are always changing, you can see every scratch and bit of chipped paint on the machines....

I agree, X was my fav. to play but very minimalist, however GX was a graphical powerhouse of a game!
Zaphod_B

Postby MatthewONM » 20 Feb 2013, 18:39

Waldy565 wrote:Nice to see another article from the mag ONM :(

This article was printed two months ago. Don't be silly.
MatthewONM
ONM Staff

Postby Sunnyleafs » 21 Feb 2013, 02:10

Listening to the Port Town theme song still gives me chills - so great.
Sunnyleafs

Postby BattleGooseUK » 21 Feb 2013, 07:27

I'm probably in the minority here, but I find controlling my ship near impossible with wall crashes on every corner. F-Zero X and GX I was good at, but the original?! Waaay out of my league.
Nintendo Network ID
- Wii U -
AFistfulOfRupees
BattleGooseUK

Postby Knightendo » 21 Feb 2013, 11:28

When I read this article in the mag a while back I couldn't believe the comment about the GameCube version too! Obviously the writer (it wan't Chandra) hadn't a clue! He was completely biased towards the original and that comment about GX made me doubt the rest of the entire article! It had some of the most amazing graphics I've ever seen, even to this day!
Knightendo

Postby liveswired » 22 Feb 2013, 01:15

Flamebait article. Clearly the writer has NEVER PLAYED F ZERO GX. t**t. :roll:

F-Zero GX is one of the BEST looking, MOST GRAPHICALLY INTENSE titles on GAMECUBE, NOT TO MENTION THE FASTEST. The detail, special FX, lighting, AI, number of racers on a track, draw distance, massive roller coaster tracks, excellent textures with tonnes of detail all running at 60fps? You call that a sacrifice in visuals? :shock:

F-Zero SNES has not aged well at all and is incredibly poor by todays standards.
liveswired