Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

PS4: Should Nintendo fans worry?

Comment on site articles.

Editor-In-Chief Chandra gives his take on the PS4 announcement and how it affects Nintendo fans

Sometimes it's hard being a Nintendo fan. We put all our faith in a company that, ultimately, doesn't exist to please us but instead needs to please its shareholders. But Nintendo is different isn't it? It IS there for us. It ISN'T just a business. And that's the biggest difference between the hardware manufacturers for me.

... read more

Postby row101 » 21 Feb 2013, 10:00

Well said Chandra. Pretty much sums up why I love Nintendo. There is not a single game that can match the exploration of Zelda, the multiplayer of Mario Kart, the retro-style awesomeness of Mario.

NNID: row101
row101

Postby Spyrolad » 21 Feb 2013, 10:01

Power is not my concern. It's certainly nice to have it but I'm still buying NES games! If I can enjoy games from 20-30 years ago, then the difference between PS4 and Wii U is hardly going to be a problem!
Spyrolad

Re: PS4: Should Nintendo fans worry?

Postby tohaker » 21 Feb 2013, 10:11

I still don't get PS4... It's the Wii U - but more expensive? :?
tohaker

Postby ChandraONM » 21 Feb 2013, 10:21

tohaker wrote:I still don't get PS4... It's the Wii U - but more expensive? :?

It's a powerful piece of kit with exciting potential. . . but a) the controller allows little gameplay innovation and b) ultimately it all comes down to the games. Prettier versions of existing games just aren't enough. I'm sure there will be decent titles but right now I'm far more interested in Nintendo's titles. That's my honest opinion.
ChandraONM
ONM Staff

Postby mushroomchow » 21 Feb 2013, 10:22

I'm not particularly bothered. I was tempted by the PS4 following the rumour mill, but last night confirmed to me that nothing beats a good game line up. Aside from Knack (admittedly looks amazing) and being intrigued by The Witness, there was absolutely nothing that interests me, just standard FPS / Adventure / Driving fodder. As before. The Wii U already has a much more balanced line-up of games.

The seamless online is never going to work in a world where universal fibre optic broadband is still at least a decade away. You can't seriously expect players to seamlessly send off 15 minutes of HD game footage in seconds, stream games as they're being downloaded and run a reliable HD, 60fps gaming experience without lag on the back of a 6Mbps connection?

And then there's the graphical capabilities. Want our amazing new Super HD graphics? Yeah, just go out and buy a Sony Bravia Super HD TV for a few thousand pounds, the year after finally shelling out for universal HD Ready TV's and you're good to go. Otherwise, it's going to look no better than the current generation on today's 720p and 1080i/p TV's. Pull the other one.

My only regret is staying up til 1AM. On the plus side, it probably saved me upwards of £500 that I can spend on new games. You know, the reason I play games.

Now roll on E3, hopefully we'll get a proper look at Ouya and Steambox, the consoles I'm actually interested in.
Last edited by mushroomchow on 21 Feb 2013, 10:27, edited 2 times in total.
So I have a blog now. Go read it, I'll get you a cuppa if you do.
3DS FC - 5241-1896-0199 - Jake - PM me yours and let's play Animal Crossing New Leaf! :D
mushroomchow

Postby Abe hikura » 21 Feb 2013, 10:25

I'm not worried about nintendo, they can survive on just their games, but i hope this acts as a kick up the backside.
The Wii U needs more games and it needs them yesterday. Where is stuff like the battlefield's and the other announced games from 2 years ago. Where is stuff like Mass Effect Trilogy and older titles like Arkham Asylam and bayonetta for nintendo fans who didn't buy 360/Ps3 some quick ports even as downloads will help populate the Wii U's library and help people care about new entries.
The Wii U versions need to stop being so late...

phew rant over ^^
somethings never change, sony pinching ideas from nintendo
Abe hikura

Postby lminett » 21 Feb 2013, 10:31

Im sure the PS4 fans enjoyed the presentation last night, and i can't blame them for that, its about time they got some solid information about a new console. I also watched it and quite frankly i was quite board, not because of what they were showing off, but mainly because it felt like the show was very flat, lacked any personality. When i watch Nintendo at E3 for example, it always comes across as a fun show, everything seems more vibrant. Most likely Nintendo showing games that aren't muddy shooters helps makes their presentations a lot more interesting.
Enjoy video game music and finding out about the composers? check out Ki11j0ys vault
http://www.youtube.com/user/KI11J0YSVAULT?feature=mhee
lminett

Postby K-tet » 21 Feb 2013, 10:36

Nintendo fans should worry if Sony deliver on the cloud and social aspects, that's pretty much it. Game-wise? Unless you're a dudebro, then the only fans that should be worried are the XBOX fans. Nintendo have always been different.

Yesterday's Tsar Bomba dropped by Sony into the gaming world is still very much a radioactive pit of baron wasteland. Any collateral damage etc is yet to be measured. We don't know too much about the system yet as it stands, but Sony's stance is to go the Clarkson route, with POWER in abundance. However, the PS4, for me, is a Sony-branded PC with features 'politely borrowed' from other devices. That's not to say that it's a bad thing, especially with Nintendo themselves being at the forefront of innovation, but there comes a time where Sony must push the Vita, lest it's doomed to failure.

Someone I know believes the PS4 will make the Wii U obsolete once it hits the shelves, but they seem to have completely overlooked how bad Sony are doing on the whole. Sony's stocks as a business are virtually worthless, their electronics division has taken a serious battering from both a stagnating Yen and rival companies elsewhere selling the same kind of technology for cheaper (e.g. LG, Samsung). Their Walkman line has all-but-vanished thanks largely to the iPod, and likewise their phones are suffering (much like HTC is) due to the prevalence of other Android-devices and the iPhone. The PS3 only achieved moderate success, and the PSP a little less than that. The Vita is failing even as we speak, so this truly is the last throw of the dice Sony have. They've literally gone all-in, so it's do or die for them.

If the PS4 fails, Sony are dead. There is no other way of putting it. Nintendo cannot tank the industry on its own and the Wii U will most likely continue to suffer due to media perception, which have made it somewhat clear that they want Nintendo hardware to die and for Nintendo to become a Third-Party developer. Why I have no idea. It seems mighty unfair. Anyway, the media seems to believe the big fight will be between Microsoft and Sony for the Eighth Generation, so let Nintendo slip quietly into the shadows.

One thing is for sure, the PS4 won't be cheap upon release. Don't be surprised if the price tag is upwards of £500.
K-tet

Postby JoeOdranDoran » 21 Feb 2013, 10:47

All that really matters in the end are the games.

The PS4 might have that advanced tech, but unless its games are good, it won't count for anything. That's what frustrated me so much about the announcement - there were so many fancy words, but with so little emphasis on upcoming content.

The Wii U will be a success if it can get plenty of good games out (both 1st, 2nd and 3rd party) It's exactly the same for the PS4. Honestly, I hope they both manage it, for the sake of the games industry as a whole.
JoeOdranDoran

Postby El_Marco1983 » 21 Feb 2013, 10:48

To answer the question, no. Nintendo fans need not worry, they will always make great games and that will continue. Third party support for Wii U seems much better than the shameful showing on Wii and it doesn't seem to have been taken as the 'party' console quite yet, which from a gamers perspective is good news.

However, some of the hardware choices for Wii U seem puzzling to me. I do agree that it isn't always about how many polygons a machine can throw at the naked eye, Wii U certainly packs a sufficient punch in the graphics department. I don't care that it is only as powerful graphically as current gen PS4 and Xbox, I like those graphics, they're good enough. I do care about what that extra power means for the games in terms of the things which it can do on a technical side. Wii U is a technical wizard, sure, but only to the level of current gen consoles with a fancy controller. The PS4 and Xbox (whatever it will eventually be called) will take games to places which the Wii U simply cannot. There is an argument that the Wii U can take you places which the others can not, that's true enough, but when only first party games are doing that then there doesn't seem any point.

Part of that though is down to the skill of the developer, and Nintendo are one of the best. I just worry that in a few years when developers are harnessing the full potential of the Xbox and PS4, showing off all their fancy tricks, whether or not first party games will be enough to keep people with Nintendo or whether they'll just use their Nintendo for Mario, Zelda, etc and play everything else elsewhere. I've seen it written somewhere that companies nearly always make a loss console wise (that is price per console over cost of manufacture) and rely on game sales to make the money.

It remains to be seen I suppose, I personally just wish Nintendo would make a fully balls-out machine which is on par with the others in terms of technical ability. they haven't done that since the Gamecube and that was a LOOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG time ago. I rant only as a long time Nintendo fan who has become increasingly frustrated with the direction Nintendo has headed since the launch of the Wii, I stuck by my Wii for a long time, hell, I still have it. I was waiting and waiting for some good games which Nintendo weren't responsible for...there was some. Unfortunately, I can count those on both my hands without the need for any more fingers and that is a poor showing for a console which had a 6 year lifespan.
El_Marco1983

Postby shadow663 » 21 Feb 2013, 11:00

Whilst I love the Wii U, Im a little worried that down the line the same thing will happen that happened with the Wii - that 3rd party devs will see that its not as powerful as the other consoles and will give up developing for it and we will miss out of some great games again
shadow663

Postby Ezme » 21 Feb 2013, 11:02

I'll be buying a PS4. Eventually anyway.

I am what apparently is now a "core" gamer (don't know where the hard bit went!) so I want power and some of the PS3 exclusives are amazing (Heavy Rain anyone?) but I love Nintendo too. I expect different things from them. Nintendo is about not to serious fun, giggling with your mates, graphics that are cartoonish because they're supposed to be. I am RIDICULOUSLY excited by project X, I'm on my 3rd play through of Xenoblade Chronicles and going for completionist.

But..... I use my PS3 more. It's the centre of my media world of an evening, I watch Blu Rays and divx/mp4 files on it as well as gaming, music and internet.

Price point may have won it for this year but eventually I'll have both I'm sure.
Ezme

Postby dave666 » 21 Feb 2013, 11:05

I read on opm's website that the ps4 specs are similar to the wii u's or as they said "other console"

The thing about sony is that they are always overpriced and only the rich or sony fanboy's will shell out for it, that's their con. But their pro is that when it comes to exclusives, sony are bang on the mark and even if you don't like sony nobody can question the quality of their exclusive games.

And unless nintendo up their game, then sony and microsoft will steal the ball from ninty. Whenever there is competition, you should always worry, and nintendo should be worried so they can grow and make themselves better as a company.
dave666

Postby MasterfulVivi » 21 Feb 2013, 11:11

I think Nintendo fans should worry, simply because in the last few years Nintendo have become seemingly complacent. Once the wonder of being the first 'next-gen' console wears off we have to take a look at the future and be realistic. Nintendo has some great 1st-party devs and make fantastic games, but third-party? It looks like it'll have to have something pretty special up it's sleeve to keep a lot of games on-par with the PS4, and I'm not sure the GamePad will be big enough to fill the void. However, I'll get both as usual and will enjoy the best of both worlds.

Finally, I should also make a note on the stereotype of 'bro' games being on the PS4 and those alone. The 7th gen had a lot of absolutely fantastic games which weren't ANYTHING of the sort, such as Journey, Ni No Kuni, Final Fantasy XIII (to some), 3D Dot Game Heroes, Fez, Super Meat Boy etc, and I hope that the new generation continues to deliver. Similarly, I don't know what you mean on the lack of quality of Sony FP games. GT5, the GoW's, Uncharted's, Sly Coopers and Infamous' of the PS3 were all very highly recieved. It's a bit like the Wii; they both had their amazing and lackluster releases.
MasterfulVivi

Postby debris » 21 Feb 2013, 11:14

Well I was one of those who decided to stay up and watch the whole thing ( I own a PS3 as well as the WiiU ), tech wise it looks good as you would expect but game wise it was making me yawn, nothing to original on the game play front, Media Molecule's sculpture demo looked interesting the rest just seemed like prettier versions of games we have all played a 100 times and no matter how good they look that beauty soon wears thin if the game play isn't there, I think it's Xbox fans who should be worried, I personally have only ever bought Nintendo consoles not because of their power but for their games.

Sure they are aiming for you to be able to play all your PS4 games on your Vita but that means most people would need to buy both and that would likely cost around £700 plus a lot more than the WiiU, Sony had better hope the economy picks up around the world because people just don't have money to blow right now which I'm sure is having a effect on WiiU sales so certainly will on a much more expensive console even more so when there is another one from MicroSoft also on sale next to it, as before its going to come down to the games and so far Nintendo for me anyway has the best.

Did anyone else Booo when the guy from Ubisoft stepped on stage?..... Lol
debris

Postby Knightendo » 21 Feb 2013, 11:16

Nintendo smashed the competition with the amount of Wiis sold, so third party developers were foolish to ignore it after a couple of years. They could've created some great games which went down an artistic route rather than realism, and used the controllers for unique gameplay. If the games had been high quality they would've sold by the bucketload on such a popular machine and they could've taken advantage of the most popular console. But they didn't, they were lazy so their crap didn't sell, and the result was a lack of games for the #1 selling machine. It was ludicrous.

As for the PS4, I was completely underwhelmed. The PS Vita thing is an obvious copy of Nntendo (what a shock) and a desperate bid to sell the handheld, and the "new" controller is quite rubbish. I don't care about the power, the whole thing underwhelmed and smacks of desperation, as they are in serious financial trouble. Supporting the new Super HD in this new console when new TVs are sparse and won't be affordable for a few years yet is a very synical move which could backfire in time for them, they're hoping to force people to upgrade other electronics with Sony equipment through this console, a very un-customer friendly thing to be thinking, whereas Ninendo are always customer focused,

I'm not worried. But even if it was an awesome machine I wouldn't be, as I've chosen what I want for my own reasons and that's it.
Knightendo

Postby ToxicJosh » 21 Feb 2013, 11:18

I'll be honest; I don't like Sony. I've not had a full catch up on the news just yet but don't expect to be wowed when I do; their take always seems to be about pushing power without any thought to the user experience and then ripping off Nintendo's (and to a lesser extent Microsoft's) innovations.

Literally everything Sony has ever done has been done before (analogue sticks, rumble, shoulder buttons, move, eyetoy, motion control, networking, dlc, store). Oh wait, they were the first to put a DVD player in a console; their big innovation.

Should Nintendo fans be worried? No, we have the Wii U, Nintendo will put their first parties on it and that's why we're here. Let the Sony Dudebros have their moment; if it doesn't work it could well be Sony's last console.
ToxicJosh

Postby El_Marco1983 » 21 Feb 2013, 11:24

debris wrote:Well I was one of those who decided to stay up and watch the whole thing ( I own a PS3 as well as the WiiU ), tech wise it looks good as you would expect but game wise it was making me yawn, nothing to original on the game play front, Media Molecule's sculpture demo looked interesting the rest just seemed like prettier versions of games we have all played a 100 times and no matter how good they look that beauty soon wears thin if the game play isn't there, I think it's Xbox fans who should be worried, I personally have only ever bought Nintendo consoles not because of their power but for their games.

Sure they are aiming for you to be able to play all your PS4 games on your Vita but that means most people would need to buy both and that would likely cost around £700 plus a lot more than the WiiU, Sony had better hope the economy picks up around the world because people just don't have money to blow right now which I'm sure is having a effect on WiiU sales so certainly will on a much more expensive console even more so when there is another one from MicroSoft also on sale next to it, as before its going to come down to the games and so far Nintendo for me anyway has the best.

you raise an interesting point. The current economic climate is important to how many consoles will get sold. in a round about way, Nintendo could come out of this smelling of roses. Price point is key to both ps4 and xbox's success.
El_Marco1983

Postby ToxicJosh » 21 Feb 2013, 11:39

El_Marco1983 wrote:
debris wrote:Well I was one of those who decided to stay up and watch the whole thing ( I own a PS3 as well as the WiiU ), tech wise it looks good as you would expect but game wise it was making me yawn, nothing to original on the game play front, Media Molecule's sculpture demo looked interesting the rest just seemed like prettier versions of games we have all played a 100 times and no matter how good they look that beauty soon wears thin if the game play isn't there, I think it's Xbox fans who should be worried, I personally have only ever bought Nintendo consoles not because of their power but for their games.

you raise an interesting point. The current economic climate is important to how many consoles will get sold. in a round about way, Nintendo could come out of this smelling of roses. Price point is key to both ps4 and xbox's success.

I think we could see a spike in Wii U sales when the PS4 and Nextbox prices are announced if people consider them to be too high/ bad value. The Xbox division isn't exactly sitting pretty either, we could have a VERY interesting generation on our hands. (I also expect the next Ninty home console to launch midway through it, say 2018/19, several years before PS5 or Xbox 1080)
ToxicJosh

Postby CyberGW » 21 Feb 2013, 11:44

Brilliantly said Chandra.
All I've seen of the PS4 is more power, better graphics but no innovation at all. Like you said, the games they showed were just games with better graphics and quicker loading times.
Nothing exciting or unique.
The Wii U with it's GamePad and Miiverse has changed gaming, not just added more power.
And as you said before, we still have exclusive Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, LEGO City, Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, Pikmin and many more. Many of which hold the title of some of the best games in history.
We have nothing to worry about. Sony has offered a bunch of hardware, but with no soul.
Current Favourite Game: Tomodachi Life
Most Anticipated Game: Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS
NNID: CyberGW
CyberGW

Postby wizardgamer94 » 21 Feb 2013, 12:02

Nintendo always seem to deliver and get out of difficult spots. No matter what Nintendo console you have there is a great library of games to go with them or in the case of the WiiU and 3DS great upcoming games. Being a Nintendo fan has never been more exciting :D!
wizardgamer94

Postby Robbo-92 » 21 Feb 2013, 12:10

Not really, while the PS4 will have better graphics than the Wii U, the difference will be nowhere near the difference between the Wii and PS3 so this means that the Wii U will still have plenty of third party support as the announcement of WatchDogs kind of shows as it was only going to be released for Ps3 and Xbox 360 but now is being released for the Wii U, hopefully we will get Star Wars 1313 as well :)
3Ds Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500
My NNID is: Robbo-92
PM me if you add me :)
Robbo-92

Postby Gamerfreak77 » 21 Feb 2013, 12:13

This article clearly explains why I love Nintendo & always will. I'm not worried in the slightest, cause I know Nintendo will continue to deliver the amazing gaming experience that no other company can match. My very first home console was the NES way back in the late 80s, and Nintendo hasn't disappointed me once in making amazing games. It is, and should be about the GAMES after all, NOT about the graphical grunt of a system :D
Gamerfreak77

Postby kallymsmarties » 21 Feb 2013, 12:30

I completely agree. We can't even go on about the price because 1, no console has shown and two, no price and to make it sound ever more pointless, we did not even see what his Touch pad does? It was the only thing that would of caught my interest compared to a share button which any console could of simple with a bit of software.
kallymsmarties

Postby Shinnos » 21 Feb 2013, 12:38

I started watching the PS4 announcement online last night to see what was going to be revealed, and eventually stopped watching because I was just bored. All the talk about GPU, CPU, and even a polygon graph(!) just felt really tedious. When are they going to show the games?!? And then when they did... oh, it's another FPS followed by a racing game... *yawn*. The Move sculpture thing looked interesting, although I'm not quite sure how it would be utilised in the future, and shortly after that I stopped caring and switched off.

Compare that to the Nintendo Direct clip you posted the other day with Iwata and Miyamoto playing around wearing Luigi hats, and you pretty much sum up what I love about Nintendo. They genuinely seem to be having fun making games, rather than worrying about how many polygons it takes to create Mario's moustache.
Shinnos

Next