Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Your Shape: Fitness Evolved Wii U review

Comment on site articles.

You eyeballing me, boy? Drop and give me 35 (pounds for this game)

Your Shape is the manifestation of everything people wanted from fitness in the late 1990s. Eerie CG trainers appear in endless, shifting deserts of white hexagons, healthy recipes appear at the flick of touchscreen and you can do yoga while a woman croons things like "stay in contact with your breath" and "dynamic!" Perhaps that's what the genre needed.

... read more

Your Shape: Fitness Evolved Wii U review

Postby mushroomchow » 21 Feb 2013, 20:49

Well, while there aren't going to be any fat housewives lining up around the corner for a Wii U until Wii Fit U comes out, this is a good start. Kudos to Ubisoft for playing to the niche audience properly instead of throwing together something half-baked to trick the "money saver" casual gamers into a crap purchase.

I still don't forgive you for the Rayman debacle, though.
So I have a blog now. Go read it, I'll get you a cuppa if you do.
3DS FC - 5241-1896-0199 - Jake - PM me yours and let's play Animal Crossing New Leaf! :D
mushroomchow

Re: Your Shape: Fitness Evolved Wii U review

Postby triton6783 » 22 Feb 2013, 19:19

mushroomchow wrote:Well, while there aren't going to be any fat housewives lining up around the corner for a Wii U until Wii Fit U comes out, this is a good start. Kudos to Ubisoft for playing to the niche audience properly instead of throwing together something half-baked to trick the "money saver" casual gamers into a crap purchase.

I still don't forgive you for the Rayman debacle, though.

There are very few options that Ubisoft could take that would allow me to forgive them, and a mere fitness game will not do.
OBJECTION!!!
triton6783

Re: Your Shape: Fitness Evolved Wii U review

Postby Waldy565 » 27 Feb 2013, 21:00

Didn't know where to post this... I rented the game a few days ago, and it's a solid title. For anyone who wants a lil more info, when you boot up the game, you're given a bar that shows total calories burned, medals recieved etc, plus your grinning mug (taken with the internal Gamepad cam).
The game is then split into tracks which you can dance too, classess which are further split into certain excercises (Zen, sort of yoga like, and my favourite, Zen Arena, reminiscent of what I think of Shauolin (?) Monks, or what I may have been brainwashed into thinking via movies), and workouts, split into different sections if your body (full body, abs, arms, back). The aforementioned recipes are also very helpful.
What I think are neat features are medals, your daily "to-do" list (3 daily tasks to complete) and the ability to hook online and track other progress, and see what they're doing. You DO need a UPlay account though... The one thing that ruins it for me is Ubi use the Remote, this has been shown before to not be the most accurate control method, and the addition that you don't need MotionPlus only adds to the sensitivity (or lack thereof). This annoyed me, I wish they could have had MotionPlus, it would have made it better, but it registers accurately most of the time to be fair.
I hope Nintendo take note of this for Wii Fit U, as I'd love Nintendo to include online features, the medals and the "to-do" list, oh, and not forgetting my favourite, Zen Arena(!) to appear in Wii Fit U. If it happenes, I'll more than likely pick it up!
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565