Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Zelda Oracles: The series most imaginative instalments

Comment on site articles.

Saluting Capcom's masterpieces: Oracle Of Ages and Oracle Of Seasons

Given that The Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Ages and Oracle Of Seasons were released for Game Boy Color in the UK in October 2001 when everyone was enjoying their new Game Boy Advance consoles, it's hardly surprising that these games should perhaps be the most overlooked adventures in the Legend Of Zelda series.

... read more

Postby shy guy 64 » 22 Feb 2013, 17:18

i do love the oracles, maybe i should give them another play through soon
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby KH81314 » 22 Feb 2013, 17:21

What did that trailer have to do with Oracle of Ages/Seasons.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby Liefesa » 22 Feb 2013, 17:28

Ah yes, the animals to travel on were interesting. And Subrosia was a pleasingly large sub-area.
The overworlds were nice and varied too for a 2D game, with underwater cities, sunken villages, and the usual forests and lakes.
Liefesa

Re: Zelda Oracles: The series most imaginative instalments

Postby Jelder » 22 Feb 2013, 17:32

Oh man, I was super jacked when I saw that commercial as a kid. I didn't even know they were making one much less two zelda games
Jelder

Postby NeonJ » 22 Feb 2013, 18:47

... "instalments"? Heheh.

I'm kinda sad that I can't play this game (these games?), but ah, well. I'll wait for the 3DS VC release, whenever that happens, heh.

I can't help but feel I'd enjoy Seasons far more than Ages, though...
~Cirom, that Animal Crossing guy.
NeonJ

Postby HughPR » 22 Feb 2013, 18:55

True, they are imaginative and generally awesome. 'Nuff said :P
HughPR

Postby NintendoForLife » 22 Feb 2013, 19:19

Personally Seasons (the only one I've played so far) is my least favourite Zelda game. It looks and plays too closely to Awakening rather than being an original game in the series. Yes menu issues due to lack of buttons were ironed out from Awakening but they didn't detract that much from the game anyway.

It felt incomplete as I played through because you need to connect Ages and Seasons together (with just passwords or link cables as well, I'm not sure) to collect everything and one of the Heart Pieces appears from one of those nuts that you get by planting trees. The odds of getting good items (including the heart piece) increase by what enemies you defeat, but on my second full play through it didn't appear which really irritated me as all other Zeldas I've completed are at 100%.

Although the game did actually save after the final boss. Interesting.
NintendoForLife at your service.
NintendoForLife

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 22 Feb 2013, 19:29

I'm glad that you mentioned the fact that it was originally going to be three games. It would be interesting to know what story and world were initially planned for the third one.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby Violet » 22 Feb 2013, 19:40

These two games have AMAZING dungeon design, with fantastic puzzles. Some of the greatest and most challenging mazes in the series and lots of tough bosses. For real gameplay "meat", these two games outclass most other Zelda games. They're the last really challenging Zeldas too, in my opinion.

Their flaws are just that the stories are pretty basic and mainly there to serve a purpose, which is to get Link exploring and questing. Which is fine in my opinion, they're very "pure" Zelda games. Seasons is my favourite because it's more focused on battling alongside the puzzles, while Ages is mostly puzzle based. Both are similar but Seasons feels more balanced.
Violet

Postby shy guy 64 » 22 Feb 2013, 19:47

MartinIsAwesome wrote:I'm glad that you mentioned the fact that it was originally going to be three games. It would be interesting to know what story and world were initially planned for the third one.

well from what ive read it was going to have the time travel aspects and the game witch became oracle of ages involved colour based puzzles
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby HughPR » 22 Feb 2013, 22:17

NeonJ wrote:I can't help but feel I'd enjoy Seasons far more than Ages, though...

Tbh they are both quite different games. Graphics aside I found that they play very differently, so whilst you may think you prefer seasons, please do NOT leave out ages if you like Zelda games! :) I honestly think that they are both gems (I have very fond young childhood memories!).

Unfortunately I can't find my cart for OoA, but I'm not worried...yet. It must be somewhere...[goes off to look]...
HughPR

Postby Waldy565 » 23 Feb 2013, 00:16

Aww these sound great. Seasons is the one that really appeals to me I must say, but trading them rings sound great! I'll end up getting both at some point, plus Link's Awakening! If I'm ever depressed, I look to this series and I remember the smile on my face the first time I ever booted up OoT on the Wii, my first Zelda experience, getting on 5 years ago...
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby Waldy565 » 23 Feb 2013, 00:19

MartinIsAwesome wrote:I'm glad that you mentioned the fact that it was originally going to be three games. It would be interesting to know what story and world were initially planned for the third one.

THIS, basically hehe. Isn't our little ONM community great! Hehe
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby DonegalAlan » 23 Feb 2013, 12:56

Oracle of Seasons was actually my first ever Zelda game. Quickly followed by Oracle of Ages, of course! Both excellent games in their own rights, and I'd highly recommend anyone who hasn't played them to give them a go. You can't truly consider yourself a Zelda fanatic unless you do! ;)
And when you have both of them, and link the games up, you see the true epic finale at the end! Worth buying for it alone! :D
DonegalAlan

Postby Komodo_Wolfgang » 23 Feb 2013, 15:36

DonegalAlan wrote:Oracle of Seasons was actually my first ever Zelda game.

Same! I thought the game was great. I then got the gamecube with MK DoubleDash with the LoZ collectors disc. Played Oot and MM and then noticed I had fallen in love with the series
My Animal Crossing New Leaf Tumblr! http://oakwoodnl.tumblr.com/
3DS:4141-2043-8010
DreamCode:7500-2191-1369
NID; Komodo_Wolfgang
Wiitabix wrote:I still feel we haven't seen the best of the Wii U yet, no where near.
Komodo_Wolfgang

Postby Matthew Bunton » 23 Feb 2013, 16:41

I would have liked to have seen a 3DS version of these games.
Matthew Bunton

Postby wii_love_u » 23 Feb 2013, 18:26

Matthew Bunton wrote:I would have liked to have seen a 3DS version of these games.

you do know nintendo just announced it for 3ds in japan?
wii_love_u

Postby The_BAAD_Man » 24 Feb 2013, 00:47

I've been wanting to play these games for a VERY long time. I wasn't able to get them when they came out, and they became hard to obtain very quickly.
I'd rather move around and be, than figure out life and what it means.

My video game blog! - http://pixelbasedworld.blogspot.com
The_BAAD_Man

Postby wghtmf » 24 Feb 2013, 19:41

I haven't played them, so I'd love to download them. Are they being released serperately, or together as one download?
'Don't question game logic, or the universe will implode.' ~ PkGam, YouTube
wghtmf

Postby alexkinch » 24 Feb 2013, 20:14

heres a though will the gba hidden shops be in this port?

Thanks to MartinisAwesome for the sig,
Wii u Id is alexkinch
3ds FC is 2191 7652 3318
alexkinch

Postby wii_love_u » 24 Feb 2013, 20:49

wghtmf wrote:I haven't played them, so I'd love to download them. Are they being released serperately, or together as one download?

In Japan they will be available seperately or as a two-game package
wii_love_u

Postby Tommyputt » 24 Feb 2013, 23:18

Can't seem to find the magazine on iOS? Can anyone help?
Tommyputt

Postby widdlersbrew » 26 Feb 2013, 19:00

MUST BUY NOW FARARGARGAHGRHAGGHFHAGFHGAFGH

Ahem. Sorry about that. As you can see, I'm quite excited.
widdlersbrew