Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Is Disney Infinity too expensive?

Comment on site articles.

Disney's new game could cost you over £200 on launch day...

I decided not to show my nearly 3 year old son the Disney Infinity trailer because it would blow his tiny mind. The Incredibles (or supers as he calls them), Buzz, Woody, Lightning McQueen and Mater all messing around in one place would just be too exciting for him to handle. Of course, I also had another reason not to show it to him. If he liked it, it wouldn't just be his mind that was blown but my June pay packet.

... read more

Is Disney Infinity too expensive?

Postby shy guy 64 » 25 Feb 2013, 14:38

whats wrong with the princess and the frog?

sorry thats a bit off topic
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Re: Is Disney Infinity too expensive?

Postby tomonm » 25 Feb 2013, 14:43

shy guy 64 wrote:whats wrong with the princess and the frog?

Nothing! I just can't see a Playset being made of it. Glad you read the whole thing!
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby Gorsewaygirl » 25 Feb 2013, 14:45

The thing is with Skylanders is that you can get nearly everything out of the games with one figure from each of the eight elements so although you have to spend a fair amount it's nowhere near as much as Disney Infinity. This seems like extortion to me and I won't be buying this game which is a shame because it's right up my street.
3DS code: 0817 3795 3527 – PM me if you add me :)
Gorsewaygirl

Postby L_A » 25 Feb 2013, 14:50

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear anything about that kind of game 5 years from now, as it'd have died off like the Rock Band games and clones did in the past few years.

That or, it'll be absolutely insanely popular, and Disney/Acti CEOs will literraly be swimming in their own olympic-sized pools of dough.

Doesn't look like there'll be any middle ground.

But yeah, those are expensives. Disney/Acti sure knows their stuff. They know it's for kids, and there's always a truckload of money to be made thanks to eager little kids 8)
L_A

Postby shy guy 64 » 25 Feb 2013, 14:58

tomonm wrote:
shy guy 64 wrote:whats wrong with the princess and the frog?

Nothing! I just can't see a Playset being made of it. Glad you read the whole thing!

sorry i misinterpreted what you meant :oops:
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby KH81314 » 25 Feb 2013, 15:10

Personally I dont like Cars at all so if I get this game I dont think that I would want that playset (unless that part of the game is great.) They should release a Lion King one and since Disney owns Marvel and Star Wars there are a lot of options for them to choose from.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby vix_chan » 25 Feb 2013, 15:40

Like with Skylanders, i am not going to go there.

Give it 5 or so years and you will see all the figures in charity shops and car boot sales all across the land.
Thanks for the votes everyone.
vix_chan

Postby Scraggy man » 25 Feb 2013, 16:57

Not a fan of the Cars franchise so they are all passes. Would like to see more of Disney's Classics maybe if they do it in waves like Skylanders everyone will get a chance at the limelight.
Scraggy man

Postby Murphy11 » 25 Feb 2013, 17:04

And you guys at ONM go on at Skylanders about its price, that could buy nearly all the Skylanders!
I own a 3DS Xl, DSi XL, Wii U, Wii, Nintendo 64 and GameCube!!!
3DS Friend code: 4854 6423 3624. P.M if you add me
My Nintendo Network I.D is : Rohan21
Long Live Nintendo!
Murphy11

Postby NintendoForLife » 25 Feb 2013, 17:13

Just get it for his Christmas.
NintendoForLife at your service.
NintendoForLife

Postby Pyron12 » 25 Feb 2013, 17:19

Murphy11 wrote:And you guys at ONM go on at Skylanders about its price, that could buy nearly all the Skylanders!

Agreed. At first, Skylanders seemed to be a ridiculous idea, but this is just criminal.
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby mrmariomaster » 25 Feb 2013, 17:29

pfffftttt! i have 153 die cast cars!
Friend code: 0216 0853 8882
Friend code name: Ewan
Dream code: 6000 2211 2882
mrmariomaster

Postby widdlersbrew » 25 Feb 2013, 17:52

Oh joy. Another Disney moneysink that will inevitably turn out to be a shallow, boring experience, with the full package available for the cheap, cheap price of £200! You can get most modern consoles for around that price. Screw you Disney.
widdlersbrew

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 25 Feb 2013, 17:59

I didn't realise the the play-sets are can last up to and around 7 hours. And as you say, there are many "proper" games at a full price that last the same amount of time and they don't come with figures.
That said, £12 just for an extra character to use in the game is where the real problem is. It doesn't effect me as I won't be buying it for myself or anyone else, but I still feel sorry for those parents who will threatened with tantrums into emptying their wallets and purses. Best of luck, Tom.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: Castle Crashers Four-Square | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby Louis Oreilly » 25 Feb 2013, 18:15

there is reason for skylanders being sold septate from the game because you can only eight to 100% the game. I see the series characters are like elements but why would you buy everything for the game for nearly the price of a wii u! and activision are making more reasons for the figures in the new swap force game! Youtube the trailer and you will see what i mean.
Louis Oreilly

Postby CaptainSnivy » 25 Feb 2013, 18:21

Well, at least some people like the Cars films.
CaptainSnivy

Postby wghtmf » 25 Feb 2013, 18:25

This does seem a little better value than I thought, because I thought that instead of a game, each playset just added a new place and characters to mess about with.
'Don't question game logic, or the universe will implode.' ~ PkGam, YouTube
wghtmf

Postby Louis Oreilly » 25 Feb 2013, 18:28

mrmariomaster wrote:pfffftttt! i have 153 die cast cars!
too bad you cars wont work on this or skylanders ( a tank would help for the final boss)
Louis Oreilly

Postby Dalekbuster523 » 25 Feb 2013, 18:28

Totally agree with this. These type of games just look like complete cons to me. Making people pay loads of money to have the whole game through figures/playsets is wrong.
Dalekbuster523

Postby Buffalo_K » 25 Feb 2013, 18:30

NintendoForLife wrote:Just get it for his Christmas.

Oh yes, because everything is much cheaper at Christmas isn't it?
Buffalo_K

Postby sciqueen » 25 Feb 2013, 21:05

After all, this is a franchise that had made £3.7 billion in merchandise in 2011, before Cars 2 was released. According to a Telegraph report, half of all six to 11-year-old boys in the United States owned a Cars T-shirt and it was second only to Stars Wars in terms of merchandise.

Proof that Americans are stupid.
sciqueen

Postby liveswired » 25 Feb 2013, 23:09

Not only is it too expensive but you can tell from the graphics this is no more than a tackily made cash and grab from Disney.

Looks like an old PS2 game running off a PC emulator. Probably farmed out to some cheap ass talentless developer on the cheap. DISGUSTING SCUM.
liveswired

Postby Spyrolad » 26 Feb 2013, 11:44

It's hard to call. If this was done with Nintendo characters I would be all over it so I don't see why I should judge this game differently. The idea of buying a figure and not only unlocking that character but also whole new levels and areas suited to that character seems awesome, but locking away parts of the game and only giving them to people who pay extra for it doesn't. If the main game was cheap it would be fine but it isn't.

£50-£70 for only part of a game is too much, £15 for extra themed levels, characters and areas? Depends how good they are as to whether it's worth it.
Spyrolad

Postby jaco_p » 26 Feb 2013, 13:21

Sorry Tom, but it seems that you're pandering to your nearly 3 year old son a bit too much.
"I'll have to buy him this, then he'll want that"
How about just saying NO!!??
Sure these kind of products are expensive, but you don't have to buy them for your kids. This sort of thing would be a christmas or birthday present for my kids, and maybe they might get the odd small add on figures as a treat throughout the year. Plus i think it's good because then you have something to ask relatives for christmas birthday etc
Disney are out to make as much money as they can off the back off skylanders' success, they have seen that this business model works, so they are going to exploit it to the full.
I don't neccessarily agree with skylanders and now infinity's unlockable content as you say, it seems a hell of a lot to pay for very little but i felt a need to give a counterpoint
i've met mario!!XD twice!
pm me someone please for wario diy, MH3, mariokart wii, brawl, etc i've got loadsa online games doing nuffin!
check out my registered games :-) http://www.nintendo-europe.com/user/jaco_pastorius
jaco_p

Postby jaco_p » 26 Feb 2013, 13:23

liveswired wrote:Not only is it too expensive but you can tell from the graphics this is no more than a tackily made cash and grab from Disney.

Looks like an old PS2 game running off a PC emulator. Probably farmed out to some cheap ass talentless developer on the cheap. DISGUSTING SCUM.

hahaha. Love this! especially that last part :-D
i've met mario!!XD twice!
pm me someone please for wario diy, MH3, mariokart wii, brawl, etc i've got loadsa online games doing nuffin!
check out my registered games :-) http://www.nintendo-europe.com/user/jaco_pastorius
jaco_p

Next