Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Comment on site articles.

Plus Retro City Rampage hits the Wii shop

It's a mix of old and new this week as Splash Or Clash joins Pac-Man and Retro City Rampage in Nintendo's line up for downloadable games.

... read more

eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Postby BattleGooseUK » 25 Feb 2013, 16:33

I would love to have PacMan for the 3DS, but £4.49 for such an old and basic game feels way too much when it's so much cheaper on iDevices.
Nintendo Network ID
- Wii U -
AFistfulOfRupees
BattleGooseUK
36
User avatar
 
Posts: 112
Location: United Kingdom

Re: eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Postby Slinkington » 25 Feb 2013, 17:12

I'd have bought Retro City Rampage had it been on the 3DS eShop.

Also, I agree with the comment above me. Get a much better and cheaper version of Pacman that you can play across all your iDevices. It's even compatible with the iCade. Either Pacman or Ms. Pacman is anyway, I forget which one it is.
Slinkington
27
 
Posts: 260
Location: United Kingdom

Re: eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Postby deKay » 25 Feb 2013, 17:29

Am I going to download any of these?

Erm, no.

The only one that interests me this week is Pac Man, but the NES version is rubbish compared to the original.

Retro City Rampage interested me 6 months ago when it was supposed to be out. Can't be bothered now.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay
42
User avatar
 
Posts: 975
Location: United Kingdom

Re: eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Postby noelnen » 25 Feb 2013, 18:02

I have the original NES version of pacman on my NES but this
one in the picture is not it. It looks much better on the NES.
noelnen
22
 
Posts: 24
Location: Ireland

Re: eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Postby Dalekbuster523 » 25 Feb 2013, 18:08

The original Pacman game on 3DS? FINALLY!
Image
Dalekbuster523
30
User avatar
 
Posts: 274
Location: United Kingdom

Re: eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Postby ledreppe » 25 Feb 2013, 18:17

Nothing here for me this week... roll on next week.
Nintendo Network ID: BigAl79
3DS Friend Code
Getting: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Rayman Legends.
Mii QR Code
Twitter
YouTube
Where Nintendo lead, others follow!
ledreppe
44
User avatar
 
Posts: 1038

Runner 2?

Postby Choccie Milk » 25 Feb 2013, 18:54

Isn't Runner 2 going to be released tomorrow?
Choccie Milk
39
User avatar
 
Posts: 77
Location: United Kingdom

Re: eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Postby sciqueen » 25 Feb 2013, 21:03

That's the ugliest Pac Man I've ever seen!
sciqueen
47
User avatar
 
Posts: 757
Location: United Kingdom

Re: eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Postby bigterence » 25 Feb 2013, 21:37

Pacman and R C R for me.Do any of the regulars on here ever buy anything?
bigterence
37
 
Posts: 175

Re: eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Postby liveswired » 25 Feb 2013, 23:25

noelnen wrote:I have the original NES version of pacman on my NES but this
one in the picture is not it. It looks much better on the NES.


Agreed all the HDR lighting is missing from the NES version in that screen shot.
liveswired
51
 
Posts: 311
Location: United Kingdom

Re: eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Postby liveswired » 25 Feb 2013, 23:32

bigterence wrote:Pacman and R C R for me.Do any of the regulars on here ever buy anything?



Sometimes......I've purchased around 5 games in total on Nintendo eShop in 2011 and none since. I find the prices are a complete and utter rip off for the content you get.

If Nintendo reduced the prices sales would boom - and we would see a much healthier eShop ecosystem with - I am sure - a lot more developer support - but Nintendo don't want that.

Nintendo are trapped in a timewarp completely oblivious to modern social integration and online distribution. They are awkward, clumsy and try to enforce German rule on all European 3DS owners. It's like some sort of disgusting sick joke and Nintendo HQ are laughing at us all. They would rather sink the ship than survive.

There's at least 10 other games I'd consider purchasing on eShop but I refuse to give Nintendo any more of my money.
liveswired
51
 
Posts: 311
Location: United Kingdom

Re: eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Postby deKay » 26 Feb 2013, 09:16

Dalekbuster523 wrote:The original Pacman game on 3DS? FINALLY!


Not the original - the NES version.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay
42
User avatar
 
Posts: 975
Location: United Kingdom

Re: eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Postby deKay » 26 Feb 2013, 09:37

sciqueen wrote:That's the ugliest Pac Man I've ever seen!


You ain't seen this?

Image
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay
42
User avatar
 
Posts: 975
Location: United Kingdom


Re: eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Postby deKay » 26 Feb 2013, 10:09

liveswired wrote:Sometimes......I've purchased around 5 games in total on Nintendo eShop in 2011 and none since. I find the prices are a complete and utter rip off for the content you get.


Alternatively, I find that the majority are absolute bargains compared to 69p iOS shovelware.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay
42
User avatar
 
Posts: 975
Location: United Kingdom

Re: eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Postby jaco_p » 26 Feb 2013, 13:39

Retro city rampage looks and sounds ace but pacman nearly 5 whole pounds really?? We're talking about a game that's 33 years old with nothing added to it. Grrr!! if it was 2 pounds id be all over that like a nun sandwich
i've met mario!!XD twice!
pm me someone please for wario diy, MH3, mariokart wii, brawl, etc i've got loadsa online games doing nuffin!
check out my registered games :-) http://www.nintendo-europe.com/user/jaco_pastorius
jaco_p
45
 
Posts: 508
Location: United Kingdom

Re: eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Postby deKay » 26 Feb 2013, 14:05

jaco_p wrote:Retro city rampage looks and sounds ace but pacman nearly 5 whole pounds really?? We're talking about a game that's 33 years old with nothing added to it. Grrr!! if it was 2 pounds id be all over that like a nun sandwich


I'd happily pay £5 for the arcade original, or any number of enhanced versions like CE or DX, but not the rubbish NES port.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay
42
User avatar
 
Posts: 975
Location: United Kingdom

Re: eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Postby justthetrick.tm » 26 Feb 2013, 14:08

liveswired wrote:
bigterence wrote:Pacman and R C R for me.Do any of the regulars on here ever buy anything?



Sometimes......I've purchased around 5 games in total on Nintendo eShop in 2011 and none since. I find the prices are a complete and utter rip off for the content you get.

If Nintendo reduced the prices sales would boom - and we would see a much healthier eShop ecosystem with - I am sure - a lot more developer support - but Nintendo don't want that.

Nintendo are trapped in a timewarp completely oblivious to modern social integration and online distribution. They are awkward, clumsy and try to enforce German rule on all European 3DS owners. It's like some sort of disgusting sick joke and Nintendo HQ are laughing at us all. They would rather sink the ship than survive.

There's at least 10 other games I'd consider purchasing on eShop but I refuse to give Nintendo any more of my money.

I tend to be a little too straight forward sometimes, but I like to say a spade is a spade and not beat around the bush...

You're an idiot.
justthetrick.tm
14
 
Posts: 24
Location: United Kingdom

Re: eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Postby justthetrick.tm » 26 Feb 2013, 14:11

Splash Or Crash & Retro City Rampage (better late than never) for me :D
justthetrick.tm
14
 
Posts: 24
Location: United Kingdom

Re: eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Postby liveswired » 26 Feb 2013, 23:23

justthetrick.tm wrote: I tend to be a little too straight forward sometimes, but I like to say a spade is a spade and not beat around the bush...

You're an idiot.



I'm only pointing out Nintendo's archaic business practice. I think you will find that the only idiot here is the one who relegates to name calling without a counter argument.
liveswired
51
 
Posts: 311
Location: United Kingdom

Re: eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Postby liveswired » 26 Feb 2013, 23:31

deKay wrote:
liveswired wrote:Sometimes......I've purchased around 5 games in total on Nintendo eShop in 2011 and none since. I find the prices are a complete and utter rip off for the content you get.


Alternatively, I find that the majority are absolute bargains compared to 69p iOS shovelware.



But amongst the Shovelware on IOS there are so many top notch titles that drop to 69p all the time and often these top titles feature fully integrated online play, leaderboards and social media integration. I shouldn't need to list them - you can do a quick Google of the best IOS games.

Really - if Nintendo backed eShop up with killer sales, even dropping games to £1.50 - you could easily see 3DS sales rocket up in western territories. This sort of competitiveness will spur support amongst developers and perhaps even encourage them to port titles from IOS to 3DS.

How many of you would love to see the likes of a fully fledged port of IOS star Real Racing 2 on 3DS eShop?
liveswired
51
 
Posts: 311
Location: United Kingdom

Re: eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Postby deKay » 26 Feb 2013, 23:58

I'm yet to find many "top notch" titles on iOS at all, and I've almost 600 games for it...
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay
42
User avatar
 
Posts: 975
Location: United Kingdom

Re: eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Postby deKay » 27 Feb 2013, 00:00

And anyway, 99% of iOS games are short, shallow or those terrible "village" games. eShop games are more like proper games.

Even those iOS games that are "full", console-like games, are marred by terrible touch screen controls.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay
42
User avatar
 
Posts: 975
Location: United Kingdom

Re: eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Postby liveswired » 27 Feb 2013, 20:36

deKay wrote:And anyway, 99% of iOS games are short, shallow or those terrible "village" games. eShop games are more like proper games.

Even those iOS games that are "full", console-like games, are marred by terrible touch screen controls.


While I applaud your unwavering loyalty to Nintendo, it is unfortunately due to so many in the same boat as yourself that Nintendo will probably never try to be competitive on the provision of cost or services to it's fans - I was just like you once, Nintendo could do no wrong, even with the price fixing scandals and ripping off their loyal fanbase through the 90s, they really cared.

If the competitiveness of IOS and the quality of its 'top' downloadable games such as Real Racing at bargain prices which are packed full with online connectivity do not meet the rigorous quality or 'proper' game feel you demand and get from titles on Nintendo's eShop I should perhaps point you in the direction of Steam which has 'real' games at 'real' prices.

No matter what Nintendo need to buck up their ideas particularly in their pricing structures if they are to gain credible mainstream support from developers and consumers outside of Japan.
liveswired
51
 
Posts: 311
Location: United Kingdom

Re: eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Postby deKay » 27 Feb 2013, 22:14

Oh, Nintendo can do wrong. There are plenty of things I don't like about them. But their pricing of eShop games? Aside from retail titles, I don't see a problem with them. I'm happy to pay £4.50 for a GBC game I'll enjoy, or £7 for something like Fallblox. They're worth it.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay
42
User avatar
 
Posts: 975
Location: United Kingdom

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Moderators

ONM Staff

Return to Article Comments

Nintendo Co., Ltd. is the owner of certain copyright which subsists and trade marks and other intellectual property rights in certain content, characters, artwork, logos, scripts and representations used in this publication. All rights are expressly recognised and they are used by Future Publishing Limited under licence © 2006 Nintendo Co., Ltd. All rights reserved. "Nintendo", "International Nintendo Licensed Product" "Nintendo DS", "Nintendo DS Lite", "Nintendo DSi", "Nintendo 3DS", "Nintendo DSi XL", "Nintendo 3DS XL", "Wii" and "Wii U" and the associated logos are the trademarks of Nintendo Co. Ltd. All rights reserved.