Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Wii Mini coming to the UK next month

Comment on site articles.

Great value Wii console release date confirmed for UK. No word from Nintendo on price...

The Wii Mini will be launched in the UK next month with a release date set for 22 March. The smaller version of the original Wii console was launched in Canada last year but it will be made available in the UK soon along with some new Nintendo Selects games. Nintendo hasn't confirmed a price for the console.

... read more

Postby Scraggy man » 26 Feb 2013, 13:31

Kind of a waste as it is just getting in the way of the Wii U and everyone who wanted a Wii likley has one and will probably want the next consol than a smaller package.
Scraggy man

Postby Zaphod_B » 26 Feb 2013, 13:33

If it's cheap I reckon it'll do well with kids and less well off families (and the occasional Wii-lacking hardcore gamer who wants to play Xenoblade etc!), but the Canadian price was a bit high compared to a second-hand Wii...time will tell I guess.
Zaphod_B

Re: Wii Mini coming to the UK next month

Postby tomonm » 26 Feb 2013, 13:46

Bit unfair to compare it to a second hand Wii as it will be new but yes, I'm interested to see how much it will cost. As for it getting in the way of Wii U, it doesn't really. No one who was considering buying a Wii U will buy a Wii Mini instead.

I think Nintendo are trying a last push to get Wii over the 100 million mark. They're close! But, as Matthew said in the last ONM podcast, people concern themselves too much with the business side of things. There are plenty of great Wii U games coming soon and this new console isn't getting in the way.

The Wii Mini has been made so it makes sense to make it available in all territories.
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby ledreppe » 26 Feb 2013, 14:00

You say Super Paper Mario is coming out as a selects title, but it has been a selects title for some years now. Just thought I'd point that out!
Nintendo Network ID: BigAl79
3DS Friend Code
Getting: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Rayman Legends.
Mii QR Code
Twitter
YouTube
Where Nintendo lead, others follow!
ledreppe

Postby tomonm » 26 Feb 2013, 14:01

ledreppe wrote:You say Super Paper Mario is coming out as a selects title, but it has been a selects title for some years now. Just thought I'd point that out!

Thanks! It said that Super Paper Mario was a new Nintendo Selects game in the press release.
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby King Slazo » 26 Feb 2013, 14:02

Depends on price but Nintendo really don't need to muddle their brand identity further. They had enough problems at the 3DS and Wii-U launch because of poor naming choices. Combine that with the console itself looking terrible, the transition to next-gen now in full swing and a new fully functioning, better looking Wii only costing £120 - £130 new (and probably cheaper if you look outside of Amazon / don't mind a pre-owned system), I just can't see this doing anything good at all for Nintendo...
~ a r r o g a n c e e t e r n a l ~ to tweetfinity and beyond
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby adamatsu » 26 Feb 2013, 14:10

i really don't see the point, but somehow it looks cool and i slightly want one...but no, it is definitely a total waste of time.
adamatsu

Postby tomonm » 26 Feb 2013, 14:11

King Slazo wrote:Depends on price but Nintendo really don't need to muddle their brand identity further. They had enough problems at the 3DS and Wii-U launch because of poor naming choices. Combine that with the console itself looking terrible, the transition to next-gen now in full swing and a new fully functioning, better looking Wii only costing £120 - £130 new (and probably cheaper if you look outside of Amazon / don't mind a pre-owned system), I just can't see this doing anything good at all for Nintendo...

I don't get this brand identity argument. Apple release different iPods and iPads all the time. No one gets confused between an iPad Mini and an iPad
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 26 Feb 2013, 14:18

It's so slim~! And red~! And I'm being superficial~!
I've got some cool video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble, so please check them out.
Latest Design: GURU-GURU, the Windmill Man
Don't forget about my Colors! Gallery
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby King Slazo » 26 Feb 2013, 14:19

When the 3DS came out, some consumers thought it was just another upgrade to the DS, and got confused why they couldn't play 3DS games on their DS / DS Lite / DSi / DSi XL.

The same happened with the Wii-U. Heck, Nintendo ever confused gamers when they first unveiled it, by barely showing the box so nobody knew if this was a new pad for the Wii or its own thing, or even if the controller itself was the console.

Now here we are, post Wii-U launch, and here's a new console, with another name. Obviously we know what it can and can't run, but its not aimed at us.

Meanwhile, with Apple, you have a singular portal that controls that, so you don't (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) see what you can't run.
~ a r r o g a n c e e t e r n a l ~ to tweetfinity and beyond
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby toffeeman30 » 26 Feb 2013, 14:27

will the wii mini be known as the wii wee in scotland?
toffeeman30

Postby Oxo64 » 26 Feb 2013, 14:27

Nintendo really should be pushing Wii U. Releasing the Wii Mini is a waste of time, resources and will only confuse consumers further. Anyone who is interested in getting a Wii probably has one by now.
Oxo64

Postby Spyrolad » 26 Feb 2013, 14:34

Who doesn't already own a Wii?
Spyrolad

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 26 Feb 2013, 14:36

It does look nice,but that's about it.
Nice to see some new Nintendo Selects titles are coming,will be going for Paper Mario because I never got it the first time around.
Currently playing:Metal Gear Ground Zeroes
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
imbusydoctorwho

Postby Sonic_Freak » 26 Feb 2013, 14:54

Propel Gamer is now taking pre-orders for £94.99 :shock:
http://www.propelgamer.co.uk/Product-De ... px?id=1588

They list the RRP as £99.99.
Sonic_Freak

Postby KH81314 » 26 Feb 2013, 14:54

They should have released this before the Wii U came out.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby Darkblizz » 26 Feb 2013, 15:41

It's a nice idea, and it does look good, but I think I'd miss the online and backwards compatibility. This could be the Wii's equivalent of the Game Boy Micro.
Darkblizz

Postby AaronMclaren » 26 Feb 2013, 15:44

You can pick up a Wii pretty cheap now anyways, not sure why this is needed. Nintendo should be seriously pushing the Wii U seeing as the beginning of the 'big' titles like Lego City and Monster Hunter are coming for it in the next month, and then hopefully a steady stream of games to tide us over till E3.

Not to go too deep into the sales (as it's very early days) but the Wii U has dropped off significantly since it's fantastic launch worldwide, and it certainly isn't doing too well here in the UK at all. I haven't seen a single TV advert for the thing since Christmas, and it's so badly advertised in shops and online. Nintendo need to dip into their pockets and go all out on an enormous advertising campaign; If retailers are putting Wii U games in with Wii, and having to say 'Wii U games are not compatible with the standard Wii console', what hope do consumers have?!
AaronMclaren

Postby jaco_p » 26 Feb 2013, 16:20

This is absolutely a ridiculous waste of money. No internet and gamecube??suck. £100? suck. I could pick up a FULLY FUNCTIONING wii for about £30. Waste of R&D money, and waste of money for any who pick it up. Most people in the UK aren't even aware of the WiiU and some still don't even identify that it's a different console. I'm doing my best with my WiiU hat but i can't be everywhere. Maybe divert some attention to that
i've met mario!!XD twice!
pm me someone please for wario diy, MH3, mariokart wii, brawl, etc i've got loadsa online games doing nuffin!
check out my registered games :-) http://www.nintendo-europe.com/user/jaco_pastorius
jaco_p

Postby Spyrolad » 26 Feb 2013, 17:34

No one thought the Gameboy Advance was a Gameboy, no one thought the PS2 was a Playstation, why would people think the Wii U is a Wii?

Same with PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, PSP, 3DS...
Spyrolad

Postby TheSlenderman » 26 Feb 2013, 18:44

They should have named the wii u, wii 2. It would have saved confusion, + it don't sound too different. Can't see anyone mixing the wii mini with anything else, though, unless they are utterly off their head.
I need something interesting to write here.
Colors Gallery; http://colorslive.com/author.php?id=118133 :D
TheSlenderman

Postby RedDwarf » 26 Feb 2013, 19:14

I'm probably going to buy this, I think this could be valuable In years to come.
Nintendo = Style And Quality Over Quantity
RedDwarf

Postby Zaphod_B » 26 Feb 2013, 19:25

I not sure there's really much confusion about the name of the WiiU. I mean, it was made pretty clear several times, at two E3, and outside of those shows, what it was/is (I was fuming at journalists who "weren't sure if it was a new pad or new console" at the time. Why are they even employed and sent on fancy LA trips if the can't tell that simple fact when it's stated right at them! They're supposed to be the professionals! /rant). It's not like you'll buy a £300 machine with a clear image on the box, take it out, and slap your forehead as you realise you've bought a fully working console and you actually only wanted a controller for your now-secondary console.
Perhaps more none gamers need to know about the WiiU to get them into it and bolster Miiverse and online game, but I give people enough credit to realise what it actually is; Nintendo aren't exactly been obtuse about it! The same with this Wii Mini.

Just read about it not supporting 480p though, that's a bit disappointing. I know most people don't use anything but the cable it comes with, but it's sometimes nice to give a fellow Wii owner a component cable for a birthday or wotnot, plug it in, and see their eye's light up as the gracklevision is cleared!
Zaphod_B

Postby ThePokekid78 » 26 Feb 2013, 19:28

Ah, the offline, brand-confusing lunchbox that-everyone-already-has-but-better finally arrives!
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby nintendoftwman » 26 Feb 2013, 20:26

What's the point if you lose gamecube and can't play games online?
3ds friend code: 2277-7109-7172
nintendoftwman

Next