Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels review

Comment on site articles.

The hardest Mario game ever heads to handheld

We've covered the story of Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels in past issues of ONM, but for anyone new to the game here's a brief recap: after the success of Super Mario Bros. Nintendo got to work on a sequel, using the same game engine as before, but crafting much harder levels for the Japanese fans crying to have their newly found Mario prowess put to the test.

... read more

Postby Dark nemisis » 27 Feb 2013, 12:40

one of my favourite games! So glad we did get this in the end. Great to play at a party:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Mario-All ... B004AE1V6O
Will be hooked on this on my weekend off with my awesome SNES-Wii controller :D
Brings back memories
I haven't changed my signature in 6 years. Now that this forum is dead, I propose moving here: http://messedupcables.forumotion.net/ Although I'm not confident we will amount to much. It just won't feel the same.
Dark nemisis

Postby fluggy2003 » 27 Feb 2013, 12:45

Really??? Better than Assassin's Creed 3 and Darksiders 2 and equally as good as Mass Effect 3??!!? That's just nonsense!!! Good way to review this would be to promise your son Mass Effect 3 for his birthday ... Then instead give him Mario Lost Levels with the excuse "its a fraction of the cost and ONM say its just as good." .... Its not and you wont be forgiven in a hurry. Its a stale, relic from yesteryear and when reviewed again by todays standards (as it should be) its a boring, dull looking dinosaur that no kid would invest more than 5 mins play playtime!!!! If this was released today by another company without mario it would get 20-30%!
fluggy2003

Re: Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels review

Postby lminett » 27 Feb 2013, 12:56

fluggy2003 wrote:Really??? Better than Assassin's Creed 3 and Darksiders 2 and equally as good as Mass Effect 3??!!? That's just nonsense!!! Good way to review this would be to promise your son Mass Effect 3 for his birthday ... Then instead give him Mario Lost Levels with the excuse "its a fraction of the cost and ONM say its just as good." .... Its not and you wont be forgiven in a hurry. Its a stale, relic from yesteryear and when reviewed again by todays standards (as it should be) its a boring, dull looking dinosaur that no kid would invest more than 5 mins play playtime!!!! If this was released today by another company without mario it would get 20-30%!

What are you talking about? Many games do hold up their appeal even today. There are so many Indie devs currently making 8 bit games for various platforms, why? because people do enjoy 8 bit games as well as the realistic games. If you look at what makes this game good, solid platforming, simple gameplay, catchy music and the way mario handles, it all adds up to a good gaming experience. Its not my favorite mario game but it still fun to play.
Enjoy video game music and finding out about the composers? check out Ki11j0ys vault
http://www.youtube.com/user/KI11J0YSVAULT?feature=mhee
lminett

Postby MatthewONM » 27 Feb 2013, 13:20

fluggy2003 wrote:Really??? Better than Assassin's Creed 3 and Darksiders 2 and equally as good as Mass Effect 3??!!? That's just nonsense!!! Good way to review this would be to promise your son Mass Effect 3 for his birthday ... Then instead give him Mario Lost Levels with the excuse "its a fraction of the cost and ONM say its just as good." .... Its not and you wont be forgiven in a hurry. Its a stale, relic from yesteryear and when reviewed again by todays standards (as it should be) its a boring, dull looking dinosaur that no kid would invest more than 5 mins play playtime!!!! If this was released today by another company without mario it would get 20-30%!

This is meant to be satirical, right? Because no one in their right mind could think that we were comparing a 1980s platformer to a 2012 open world assassin sim. That would be an insane thing to think, right?
MatthewONM
ONM Staff

Postby jaco_p » 27 Feb 2013, 15:19

I'm sorry but you don't know what you're talking about. You can't compare games across genres, it doesn't work. Oh, and guess what, a company called TEAM MEAT did release a game similiar to mario bros a few years back and it was praised almost unanimously, it was Super Meat Boy
i've met mario!!XD twice!
pm me someone please for wario diy, MH3, mariokart wii, brawl, etc i've got loadsa online games doing nuffin!
check out my registered games :-) http://www.nintendo-europe.com/user/jaco_pastorius
jaco_p

Postby CaptainSnivy » 27 Feb 2013, 17:35

I finished this on All Stars on the Wii last year, and the difficulty made me crazy. Literally.
CaptainSnivy

Postby fluggy2003 » 27 Feb 2013, 18:12

[
I'm sorry but you don't know what you're talking about. You can't compare games across genres, it doesn't work. Oh, and guess what, a company called TEAM MEAT did release a game similiar to mario bros a few years back and it was praised almost unanimously, it was Super Meat Boy[/quote]

Your talking utter drivel. Every game site I look at has a "best game ever" section that compares "across genres"!!! Onm's best game ever was, surprise, Super Mario Bros!! Now everyone KNOWS its NOT even in the top 100! Apart from the obvious comparison to Mario 3 and World (which are both infinitely superior and every publication I read back in the day said that 2), any other acclaimed game, be it from ninety (Zelda, metroid,galaxy), ps3 (god of war, uncharted, dead space), Xbox (halo, gears of war) are also vastly superior. My point is this.... This isn't a review from 20 years ago. This is getting released NOW on a new platform. People are going to buy it based on this review, NOT through rose tinted specs. As an experiment I FORCED my Nephew and Niece to play this today, they absolutely hated it. By all means say its maybe the MOST INFLUENTIAL game, but by today's standards, which it should be reviewed by, it just doesn't measure up.
fluggy2003

Postby alexkinch » 27 Feb 2013, 18:20

I would love to get the chance to play doki doki panic for a change.

Thanks to MartinisAwesome for the sig,
Wii u Id is alexkinch
3ds FC is 2191 7652 3318
alexkinch

Postby Waldy565 » 27 Feb 2013, 19:17

Yea, I seem to remember playing this, but like, 5 mins of it. Not to the difficultly, just because I, err, dunno, so was excited when this was announced. I get my paycheck tomorrow, so I may download this. Until then, I think I'll go play a little of the original Super Mario Bros. Wahoo! (thank you, thank you :P)
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby Gordon Ramsey » 28 Feb 2013, 09:49

I bought this game about 1 month ago but I made a pact and said I will save the game after each level I complete. I finally compleated it after a day and half and it was an enjoyable challenge. 80%
:mrgreen:
Gordon Ramsey

Postby justthetrick.tm » 28 Feb 2013, 12:39

Those that say that great games of yesterday-year wouldn't hold up today need to hand in their "Gamer" badge. A good game is a good game is a good game. If you're all about style over substance then in comparison Mario 2:lost levels sucks indeed. Thought a lot of us have learnt that it's not all about looks... But I guess not
justthetrick.tm

Postby liveswired » 28 Feb 2013, 21:35

There's always one! :roll: :lol:
liveswired

Postby K-tet » 03 Mar 2013, 13:55

Those that played this game as part of Super Mario All Stars, you do realise it's easier? I've played all three iterations of the game (by three I'm including the Super Mario Bros: Deluxe GBC version too) and trust me, the Famicom version is ridiculously anal. The GBC version is worse still only because of the obscured camera.

You know, when they say a game is "F***-off Nintendo Hard", they weren't joking, and these are the types of games that make you ragequit so hard because they're designed to crank the difficulty level to overdrive and beyond. Other games that are just as ragequit worthy for those that don't have such patience also include the likes of Megaman II and Battletoads. If your only experience on The Lost Levels is the SMAS version, boy you've had it easy. Pick up a Famicom and play this on its original intended hardware, and good luck to you. \o/

This is a classic. If you like your games jacked up with that F-off Nintendo Hard feeling, grab it and pander to your inner masochism.

80% is a fair score.
K-tet

Postby wilrc6 » 04 Mar 2013, 18:30

If I can remember rightly the Lost Levels wasnt released in Europe on the NES. It was part of the upgraded All Stars package. So you are actually playing the original japanese version. I downloaded this on Wii a few years ago as part of the Hanabi Festival and although its advertised as the 'Lost Levels', the title screen actually says Super Mario Bros. 2
Currently Playing:
LEGO Lord of the Rings (XBox360)
New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
New Super Mario Bros. U (WiiU)
LEGO Indiana Jones (DS)
Kid Icarus Uprising (3DS)
Looney Tunes ACME Arsenal (XBox360)
wilrc6

Postby alinktodapast » 30 Apr 2013, 07:34

they were not that hard :?: :arrow:
alinktodapast